Sunday, March 9, 2008

Just Get Rolling

Scripture: "They were saying to one another, "Who will roll away the stone for us from the entrance of the tomb?" Mark 16:3

Observation: Mary and Mary were totally committed to a plan destined for failure. There were a couple fatal flaws in what they purposed to do. First, their plan revealed their lack of faith. Jesus told them that He would be raised from the dead on the third day. Where they were heading clearly proved they did not believe His promised timing of resurrection. Second, they were taking spices to anoint His body. This element of their plan clearly points to the fact that they did not believe He would ever rise. Third, there was a huge stone covering the tomb and they had no way of moving it. This was not a good plan.

Application: My approach to life is fairly simple. Assess, plan, act and adjust is the model I typically follow. Assess where I am and compare it to where I would like to be. Plan for the provisions, steps, and timing it will take to carry me closer to where I would like go. Put the plan into action and then manage the results by making adjustments along the way. That is just how I do things. It is hard for me to move forward in anything without at least running through these steps in my head. If there is a glaring deficiency, then I will stop until I have figured a way around it. I want to move, but I prefer to move on purpose. As I think about what Mary and Mary were doing that early morning, it is easy to cast stones. What were they thinking? Did they not pay attention to His teaching? How did they not know? And then what did they think was going to happen when they made it to the tomb? In my book of planning, two women + one huge stone= one un-entered tomb. It works out that way every time. Crazy. But then it hits me. Where were the disciples? What were they doing? Sitting in hiding is what they were doing. They were more than likely following the same model I outlined above. They were thinking through where they were, where they wanted to be, what they needed to do about it, and when they needed to act. Mary and Mary were dead wrong with their plans and theology, but their intentions were beautiful. In the absence of a clear sense of direction, these two ladies simply decided to head in the last known location of their Savior. They knew that was the last place they had seen Him and even though it is not what they wanted, they moved. While the others were seeking direction and clarity; they found Jesus first. Not because they were right, just because they were taking action by moving towards the only thing they could think to do. They simply returned to their last known location of Jesus.

Prayer: The way I operate has served me well and I have seen You accomplish much in my life by empowering the way You trained me to think. That said I must confess that I sometimes put my faith in the model more than I put it in You. Life is ever changing and many times I look up to find myself facing a situation that makes no sense to me. I struggle to find direction and as my search continues to produce no assured steps; I become paralyzed by fear and doubt. In those moments, I pray that I have the courage to do just what Mary and Mary did here. I want to move. Even if it means I reveal to everyone just how little I know and regardless of how many holes are in my plans, I want to return to the last thing I can remember You giving to me to do and head towards that. I trust not in my ability to make sound decisions, but in Your ability to direct my steps once I am moving. I rely on You daily to guide my steps and I want You to be able to rely on me daily to just get rolling. I love to live the adventure You offer me everyday. Allow me the Grace and direction I need to daily live to impact Your kingdom. Even when my faith is blind and my thinking is cloudy at best I totally surrender to the belief that You can direct my steps.

No comments: