Tuesday, March 18, 2008

My Wrath

Scripture: "Rest in the LORD and wait patiently for him; Do not fret because of him who prospers in his way, because of the man who carries out wicked schemes. Cease from anger and forsake wrath; do not fret; it leads to evildoing." Psalm 37:7:8

Observation: This entire chapter contains instruction for dealing with injustice in the world. Despite the time that has passed between the writing of this passage and where I sit today the question remains the same, why do evil people prosper while the Godly suffer? Why is good returned with bad? This verse is truly a treasure chest of wisdom and instruction for how to handle myself when life treats me unfairly.

Application: "This is not right." I tell myself. "it should not be happening this way." "I did things the right way and still I am getting the raw deal." That is the conversation that goes on in my head. The scenarios change like shifting tides; I watch liars and cheats get business sales by deceptive practices while the honest misses out. I see noble and honorable business owners go bankrupt while ruthless and dishonorable owners accumulate millions. I see people give grace to others only to see them taken advantage of. I see people give of themselves to others to the point of personal pain or loss only to be repaid by being abused. I see people avoid bad lifestyle choices only to watch the bad choices produce all the fun. I sit with good, God fearing parents who just lost a child while I notice countless kids being born to un-Godly parents who care nothing for them.

I could keep on writing out scenarios and probably never reach the end of the list. At times, the economy of the world just does not seem to support God's commands and promises. When that happens I get angry. That anger wears away at me until it converts to wrath. Wrath for me means that I say things or take action that is intended to result in the humiliation or breaking of another person. I fill my mouth with "zingers" designed to put a person in their place. It can also take the form of reckless abandonment of all restraints on my life. For example, I scrap and save money only to see myself never get ahead. I get angry. Then I rebel against fiscal responsibility by going out and buying everything I wanted and said no to. In relationships, it means I cut a person off. I give and I give and I give only to never get anything in return. My response to the rising tide of anger in my soul is I shut people off. I will no longer give anything to anyone.

But in the end, none of my wrath has ever prospered me anything. As sit here this morning, I can't recall a single instance of my plans working out for me. When I look at the first segment I am told to rest and wait patiently for the LORD. A definition of rest is; relief or freedom, especially from anything that wearies, troubles, or disturbs. The word patiently here can be replaced with longingly. Longingly can be defined as strong, persistent desire or craving. In the heat of the moment God reminds me to be still and convert all my negative energy into a deep longing for Him. Every struggle should deepen my desire for Him. All my desperation should be given to Him. All my anger. All my doubts. All my questions. God is giving me the invitation to come to Him with all my junk and give it to Him. That is the only way for me to profit. Any other reaction can only lead to further evil.

Prayer: This world is not fair. It often fails to live up to my expectations. If I am not careful it is very easy for me to get angry not only at the world, but at You. Sometimes if I am honest with You and with myself my anger carries me to the point that I feel You are not fair or just. In irrational moments of anger I say and do things that I know are not right and then I leave behind me a wake of consequences that are just plain ugly. I truly regret the hurt that I have caused You and I repent of my sin against you. I need Your help with this. There is no way I can walk down this path without Your help. I want to trade all my rights, all that I feel is owed to me, all my logic, all my anger, and all my questions for a deep longing for You and a deep rest in Your presence. Help me to no longer trade evil for evil and perpetuate the cycle of wrath that continually repeats itself in my life. You are good and You are holy. I want to rest in the fact that I know You will bring justice when the time is right. Until then, I want to long only for You.

No comments: