Wednesday, December 2, 2009

My False Belief

Today's Reading: Romans 10 & Romans 11.


Scripture:

"For the Scripture says, 'Whoever believes in Him will not be disappointed." Romans 10:11


Observation:

To live in the truth of this verse is a bit tricky. The text says that whoever believes IN HIM will not be disappointed. To believe in something or someone means to have confidence in the truth, the existence, or the reliability of something without absolute proof that one is right in doing so. This means that in order to believe in someone you have to first have truth, but then you also have to know that you will eventually need to take a step of faith because all your questions will not be answered upfront.


Application:

Disappointment is a part of life. I am generally a positive person and I find the silver lining no matter how hard it is hidden; still, life rolls me over and some days it is really hard to keep perspective when it does. I am a man of faith. All that I do I approach through prayer, seeking the face and wisdom of God as I do. Because of this it is really hard to separate my disappointment with my outcomes from feeling like God let me down.


The heart of this message is that a pure belief in the truth about God will never let me down or leave me disappointed. False beliefs based on selfish or shortsighted interpretations of God will never leave me anything but disappointed.


Prayer:

There are certain truths about You that are inconvenient to me and my plans. There are certain truths about You that are not politically correct. There are certain truths about You that are not all that comforting to consider. To help with this I often adopt my own version of truth about who You are.


As a result of my trying to make You fit into my world view I spend a lot of time dealing with my own confusion and disappointment. Father, I confess to You this morning my desire to have a god that fits my world view. That is nothing short of idolatry.


I pray that You enlighten the eyes of my heart to see You in truth. Open Your word to me in a way that it fills every fiber of my being with an honest acceptance of who You are, just as You are and also help me find the humility and courage I need to live the life of faithful submission to which You have called me.

No comments: