Monday, December 21, 2009

Experiencing the Great Shepherd

Today's Reading:

John 10:1-11 & John 11:17-44


Scripture:

"When he puts forth his own, he goes ahead of them, and the sheep follow him because they know his voice." John 10:4


Observation:

Sheep are not born knowing the voice of their shepherd. Sheep do not learn of their shepherd through an introduction. Since they are animals it is not like the shepherd can just walk up to them and say, "Hello sheep. I am your shepherd." Sheep learn the voice of their shepherd through their experience with him. They learn to trust him. They learn that although they may not know exactly what he is saying, they can fully understand the direction he is leading them. Time with the shepherd proves that the direction he leads them is the best thing for them.


Application:

I think the same thing is true of my relationship with Christ. I am not born knowing Him. I do not come to know Him by someone simply introducing me to Him. I learn of Him by becoming familiar with the calling of His voice. I come to know Him by trusting Him with my obedience. The more I move towards Him in obedience, the more my faith in Him is strengthened.


Prayer:

Blind faith and trust is not a valued virtue in the world today. Every position of leadership or authority has been violated. Positions of leadership once held in regard as being pure and trustworthy have been adequately proven to be subject to the depravity of the men that hold them.


This makes trust hard. My experience has taught me to be a skeptic. Life has left me feeling as though I should look for evidence before I trust and track results so that I know when to get out.


This morning I realize that the harsh realities of living in a fallen world often impacts the relationship that I have with You. I want proof that I am on the path before I agree to follow. As I think on it this morning I see the fallacy in my thinking.


Father I pray that Your voice become clear to me and that my love, faith and respect for You compel me forward. Your ways are not my ways which often makes following You difficult as it requires me to act against my instincts and move in a direction that I do not always understand. I pray for the wisdom, discernment, faith, and courage I need to stay aligned with Your leadership.

No comments: