Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Testing Your Faith

Today's Reading:

James 1 and 4


Scripture:

"Do not be deceived my beloved brethren." James 1:16


Observation:

The title of James One in my Bible is "Testing Your Faith". When faith is tested the circumstances causing the test are normally external issues, but the greatest battle is always internal. Satan sneaks in and begins to undermine the process by weaving his web of deception. This chapter in James reminds me of a few major places satan begins his attack.


Application:

The first thing he tries to do is create inside of me dread, escape, denial and pity. These emotions seem to greet hard times at the door and the first and often most difficult battle is coming to grips with the fact that the trial is real, it will not go away, I will have to walk through it and I will come through to the other side.


The second thing he tries to accomplish is to create inside of me a fear that I must defend myself. Verse 19 says to be quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger. When the pressure cranks up it becomes easy to get caught up in thinking, the hell with what you have to say, listen to me because I am ticked and tired of being treated poorly.


The final thing satan tries to do is make God feel distant. Satan knows that God is my source of life and wisdom. If he can make me feel like God is not listening or responding to me then he has me. In the midst of hard times it is really challenging to cling to the promise that God is never distant. He always hears. He always draws near.


Prayer:

Of these three things You have spoken to me this morning I sense the greatest conviction regarding my anger and defensiveness. There are many days that it is hard to continually take the hits that keep coming and not become agitated. I confess that to You this morning and just say that I am fully aware of my need for You to work in that area of my life.


The man I am is not the man You or I desire for me to be. I am simply not there yet. I submit today to the work You are doing in my life and I rest in the truth that though I have a long ways to go; I will never be more loved or accepted by You than I am right now. Thank You for not basing your heart for me on my behavior or performance.

No comments: