Saturday, May 23, 2009

Seeking the Unexplainable

Today's Reading:  2 Chronicles 7:14; Psalm 135; & Romans 4

 

Scripture:

"Without becoming weak in faith he contemplated his own body, now as good as dead since he was about a hundred years old, and the deadness of Sarah's womb; yet, with respect to the promise of God, he did not waver in unbelief but grew strong in faith, giving glory to God, and being fully assured that what God had promised, He was able also to perform."  Romans 4:19-21

 

Observation:

The story of Abraham is challenging to me.  He constantly walked with God in the realm of the impossible.  God was moving in his life in a manner that required Abraham to experience things that were beyond rationalization.  God performed works in him that could not be attributed to human effort and defied all logic. 

 

Application:

Why is my life so predictable and explainable?  That is the challenge that I sense today.  There is no consistent movement of God so extraordinary that there is no explanation for it other than God's hand on me.

 

Prayer:

Father I have become complacent.  I do not seek You as I should.  I do not walk in the realm of the unbelievable.  I have found the comfort of the predictable. 

 

I pray today that You shake me up.  I ask that You move in my life.  Help me to stretch beyond what is comfortable, explainable or predictable.  Lead me to pray bigger prayers and experience bigger movements.  You are the same yesterday, today and forever.  I do not want to settle for living through the stories of others I read about in the Bible.  The drum beat of my heart is to have stories of my own.  Help me to lead my family to be a family who witnesses an extraordinary God doing unexplainable works of greatness.

No comments: