Saturday, May 16, 2009

Dwelling Place

Today's Reading:  1 Chronicles 28:9; Psalm 91; & 1 Thessalonians 5

 

Scripture:

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty."  Psalm 91:9

 

Observation:

Dwelling in the shelter of the LORD is an amazing place to be.  As the words of this Psalm unfold in verse the promises of God's protection, provision and deliverance are staggering in their beauty.  They paint a picture of security that is seems to good to be true.

 

Application:

In all of scripture, I have not found a passage more comforting to me than the 91st Psalm. There have been many times that I have turned to these words and found comfort.  There have also been many times that I have turned to the verses and found disappointment.  In those seasons of disappointment my initial reaction is to feel like God let me down or that I am not good enough. 

 

Neither are true.  God's word never returns void and there is no promise of God that hinges on my personal goodness.  The promises of God are always yes, but they also always carry a responsibility.  That is the truth that I often miss.  Dwelling in the shelter of the LORD is not a privilege, it is a responsibility.  I have to continually pursue the 3 primary qualities of a man who is able to dwell in the shelter of the LORD; I must know Him, I must love Him and I must serve Him.

 

Prayer:

Father the only way I can know You is by placing my faith in the work carried out by Christ on earth and through the cross.  Everything needed on my part rests in Christ alone.  I ask today that You allow the gospel Christ to become fully alive to me.  Help it to dwell in my heart and mind and serve as a constant, tangible connection to You. 

 

To know You is to Love You and love for you means that I obey You.  Father there are days You do not have first place in my heart.  So many things get in the way of me actively pursuing You with all my heart and all my mind.  As best as I know how, I give to You my heart and mind.  Teach me to do this better and I pray for Your continued grace as my knowledge of You is being perfected.

 

The ultimate test of my knowledge and love is the manner in which they reveal themselves in the service of my life.  If truly know and love You then good works of service will be a natural outflow of my heart. I ask that You make me attentive today to the opportunities You give me to be Your servant in the lives of others.

 

Father, You alone are able to search my heart and know my every intention.  You alone are able to save me from my selfish desires and empty ambitions.  I pray today that I experience the truth of Your promise that says You allow Yourself to be found by those who seek You.  I want the dwelling place of the Most High to be more than just words on a page.   

No comments: