Tuesday, May 12, 2009

More than Words

Today's Reading:  2 Samuel 22 & 1 Thessalonians 1

 

Scripture:

"for our gospel did not come to you in words only, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction."  1 Thessalonians 1:5

 

Observation:

Lifestyle matters.  As I read through these two chapters of scripture this morning I see that truth reverberating through both of them.  For David, his pure lifestyle before God lead to God's favored hand delivering him from his enemies and caused anyone who knew of him to pay him respect.  In Thessalonica the power of the Holy Spirit changing the lives of the people opened up doors throughout the region as people observed the tangible difference God was making in their lives.

 

Application:

I have to change.  My ambitious nature often overtakes my emotions and mind and I am often tempted to purse God's favor more than I pursue change in my own life.  I want both the power of God and the comfort of my lifestyle, but I can't have both.  A choice must be made.  Walking after God and experiencing all that He has to offer is perfectly correlated to my willingness to allow Him to transform my heart and consequently my lifestyle.

 

Prayer:

I am not sure how to pray this morning.  No matter how long I have walked with You and how certain I am of Your goodness I am still held back when it comes to letting go of what is comfortable.  I need to find another level of surrender to You but I also know that it can only be found after I reach another level of brokenness.  The process of being broken scares me.

 

Father give me the courage to accept Your word to me this morning and help me to submit to the surrender You desire for me.  I have pursued things in my own method for far too long.  I genuinely desire to do things Your way and to be used by You.  Open doors before me today that allow me to find success in Your eyes.  Transform my personality, my speech, my choices, and my results in manner that proves, not how smart I am, but just how great Your hand is upon me.  I ask that my life reflect more than just words.  I want it to contain the transforming proof of Your presence at work advancing Your unstoppable agenda.

No comments: