Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Work of Discipleship

Today's Reading:  Psalm 30 & 1 Thessalonians 2

 

Scripture:

"For you are our glory and joy."  1 Thessalonians 2:20

 

Observation:

Paul realized that there would come a day when he would stand before God and give an account for the life he led.  He also realized that in that moment the only accomplishment in life that would matter would be the impact he had on others in moving them further down the road on their journey towards God.

 

Application:

There are a few lessons from Paul about discipleship that I can learn.  First, love the gospel.  I have allow the word of God to become the apple of my eye and the center piece of my heart.  I can't sell something to others that I have not fully bought in to.  I need to fall totally in love with God, Jesus the Holy Spirit and all that was given to me in through the work of the cross.

 

Second, I have to love people.  The more broken hearted I am for others the more hungry I will become for them to walk in the freedom of the gospel.  The gospel is a beautiful message of hope, peace, and freedom.  The catalyst for me sharing this message is not head knowledge; it is allowing my heart to be broken by the pain of those who live outside the faith.

 

Third, I have to speak the truth.  In my lifetime I have lived through two extremes of gospel teaching.  As a child the church was full of hell, fire, and brimstone.  Everything was about avoiding wrath.  Currently, the gospel is full of self-help and strategies for success.  It is like Dr. Phil and Donald Trump have taken over the church.  The truth lies somewhere in between.  The gospel is not a sharp stick in the eye, but it is also not walk down easy street.  I have to be in tune with the truth regarding God's demands for holiness, and balance that with his patience and forbearing.

 

Prayer:

 

Father there is much in the world that competes for my attention.  Demands are around every corner.  I awake each day and the pace of life pursues me from the moment I step out of bed until the moment I lay my head down at night.  During the gap between these two moments I can miss out many opportunities. 

 

I pray that the truth of what You spoke to me this morning continue to grow in intensity inside of me today.  Help me to slow things down today and pay attention to what is taking place around me.  Let me not miss out on a chance to learn a new truth about You, find a deeper love for people, or speak truth to a brother or sister.

No comments: