Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Hard Work

Today's Reading:  Psalm 101 & 2 Thessalonians 3

 

Scripture:

"But the Lord is faithful, and He will strengthen and protect you from the evil one."  2 Thessalonians 3:3

 

Observation:

In the context of this passage Paul is speaking to the church on what to do when a believer in ministry is not pulling their own weight.  In reading this letter I see two primary ways Satan will attack me when I am those same types of situations.

 

Application:

"What's the point!?"  I have felt those words come upon me many times as I have observed people around me not pull their own weight.  As they share in the benefit without completing their fair share of the work it is easy to become jaded and stop working myself.  That is the first way satan attacks me.  He will give me every opportunity and every rational thought I need to stop doing what I know is right. 

 

 

"They've got to go!"  These words come upon me and seize my emotions every time I have an issue with someone serving along side of me who refuses to put his heart and soul into what he is doing.  While there is a time and place for removing dead weight from a team, I must never make it about the person.  The word says that we do not wrestle with flesh and blood.  I must always look through the person and realize that we are both fighting against the same dark, enemy.

 

Prayer:

Thank you Father for reminding me of these three very practical things I need to ask of You this morning.  I need you to strengthen me and protect me from the evil one.  I am no match for him.  Your strength is my only hope.

 

Help me to keep working hard no matter what.  I must avoid allowing the poor efforts of others to affect my on output of work.  Even if everyone falls away I pray that my connection with Your mission for my life be so strong that I will continue on in pursuit of its completion.

 

Also help me to not make people my enemy.  We all have a common foe in satan.  He pits us against one another, divides us and then devours us.  Give me a heart that, like Yours, is patient and long suffering with the person but aggressively opposed to the sin. 

 

Above all, please protect me from being the lazy one on the team.  The pace of life can accelerate to the point where my energy and motivation just flat-line.  I can fall into the sin of slothfulness just as easy as anyone else.  When I do that I open my life up to the enemy and he is vicious in his intentions and their execution.  

No comments: