Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Avoiding the Edge

Today's Reading:  1 Kings 6:11-13; Psalm 97, & Romans 1:18-32

 

Scripture:

"For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them."  Romans 1:18

 

Observation:

Much is made of God's grace.  This is as it should be.  His grace and forgiveness of sin are incredible.  The work of the cross is the greatest security ever known. 

 

The other side of this can not be lost.  God is a righteous God and He expects us to be holy as He is Holy.  He constantly reveals His truth and I am expected to act appropriately with it.

 

Application:

Sin never starts of in its most aggressive form.  Satan knows that if the temptation he throws at me is too far removed from where I stand, he will never get me.  So, he throws a bone a couple feet from where I stand and creates an opportunity to enjoy something that is only a couple small steps removed from where I stand.  Once this takes place, the process of justification starts. 

 

In the midst of my making a case for taking the bone, God always speaks.  He makes His desired way evident by making me uneasy or giving me a check in my spirit.  Sometimes I listen.  Other times I do not. 

 

In moments when I choose poorly and take the bone, satan immediately throws me another one, God's voice becomes a little softer, and the downward spiral begins.  Before long God has completely turned me over to my sinful lusts and I find myself lost in a world in which I would have never imagined making my place of residence. 

 

Prayer:

Looking back over my life I can not remember a single time that I made a blind error.  I always had a sense of right or wrong.  There was always a check in my spirit about what I was doing.  You have never once failed to make Your will known to me. 

 

I am honestly at a loss as to why I have done some of the things I have done and continue to do the some of the things I do.  Satan is very deceptive and my flesh is incredibly corrupt.  There are moments of weakness when I exchange Your glory for the temporary pleasure of something else.

 

I pray that You help me to hear clearly Your voice today.  Allow Your joy, glory, peace and presence to be more tangible to me than any other desire I face.  Strengthen me to destroy that part of me which desires to live as close to the edge as possible and instead turn all my energy an desires to living as holy as I possibly can.

No comments: