Monday, May 11, 2009

Learning to Lean

Today's Reading:  Psalm 55 & Matthew 28

 

Scripture:

"Cast your burden upon the LORD and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken."  Psalm 55:22

 

Observation:

God does not defend a man; He defends His righteousness.  That is the key to this passage.  David was not selfishly pursuing his own desires and ways.  He positioned himself as close to God's righteousness as possible and completely depended upon Him to make things right. 

 

Application:

Learning to lean on God more than just praying to God.  It is more than just a few empty prayers asking God to take my burdens.  Before I can cast my burdens on God I have to cast my rights, my desires, my dreams and my ambitions upon Him.  I have to surrender control of both the good and the bad in my life to Him.

 

I am saved and of that I have no doubt, but I constantly struggle with surrender.  Many times I take things upon myself and then turn to God only after I have failed or gotten myself in trouble.  God wants me to be surrendered to Him on a daily basis.  He wants me to do more than use Him as a life line during difficulties.  He wants me to stay constantly surrendered to pursuing His righteousness.

 

Prayer:

I often confuse my ways with Your ways.  Actually I normally want You to exchange Your ways for mine because mine seem to sound just fine to me.  I'm laughing at myself, but I fully feel the weight of my mistake in this.  I confess to You this morning my sin.  Please forgive my pride. 

 

I do not depend on You as I should.  There are days I know I need to pray, but I press on without it.  There are days when I sense my heart is not right, but I press on without letting You redirect me.  There are days when I know I am walking in my flesh, but I press on without falling on my face to set things straight.

 

Father I give to You this day and all that is in it.  Take my hand and guide me.  Help me to surrender to You both the things I would define as evil and the things that I would call good and substitute them for the plans You have for me.  Holy Spirit, speak clearly to me as I seek the face and voice of my Father this day.

No comments: