Friday, May 8, 2009

Filling my Accounts

Today's Reading:  Psalm 32 & Matthew 25

 

Scripture:

"Therefore let everyone who is godly pray to You in a time when You may be found…"  Psalm 32:6

 

Observation:

Time is nothing to God, but it is everything to humans.  We are finite beings and our days can be counted.  At some point each person's time on earth will expire and the accounts of their lives will be settled.  Our days on earth are our time to call out to God.  He will one day return to settle His accounts with us.  He expects a multiplied return on what He has invested and in this morning's reading I am reminded of three things that fill my accounts with God.

 

Application:

The first is confession of sin.  There is a connotation satan has created around sin that says it is better to lower my definition of sin and confess less to God.  David in Psalm 32 however states the case that confession is the key to a clean life.  Un-confessed junk in my life builds up, eats away at me and prevents me from walking in peace.  But once I confess my sin, all is removed and my slate is clean.  I find peace, joy and freedom.

 

The second is multiplication of what has been given to me.  The first half of Matthew 25 speaks to this.  God has entrusted me with talents, time and resources.  Upon His return He will expect a return on his investment.  It does not matter if I am a five talent guy or just a one talent guy; God wants me to start with what I have and make the most of it. 

 

The third is to take care of the needy.  God does not give to me to put a smile upon my face or make me feel secure.  He alone wants to be my reason for smiling.  He alone wants to be my security.  He gives to me to put a smile on His face and I am convinced that nothing makes Him smile more that seeing the least of the world being cared for by His kids.  That is the teaching of the back half of Matthew 25.  When I minister to the sick, the poor, the orphaned, the hungry or the imprisoned; I minister to God Himself. 

 

Prayer:

Your Word says that many are the sorrows of the wicked but the one who trusts in You shall be filled with lovingkindness. To trust in You means that I walk in Your ways.  This morning's reading has reminded me of three very important ways I need to do that.

 

God there is sin in my life that I am often tempted to accept as being part of me or as being excusable given the circumstances.  I confess to You this morning that sin is sin.  Regardless of what another does to me I pray that You give me the wisdom to confess the pride of my life, the lusts of my flesh and the lusts of my eyes. 

 

Father there are days that I wake up and do not feel that talented.  I feel like on the day when You passed out equipment I missed the memo.  My self-doubt, feelings of inferiority, and smallness in comparison to others has caused me to sin.  Regardless of my self-perception I ask that You help me stay engaged in life.  I desire to multiply what You have given me and provide You with a return on all that You have invested me.  I confess to You today my grumbling and express to You my deepest gratitude for all that You have provided.

 

Hard times fall upon people and in their moment of need Your expectation is that Your people step up to the plate and help them out.  I have failed in this area.  I confess to You I have allowed satan to fool me into staying away from this work.  I have believed people are a product of their own choices and abdicated my role in meeting their needs.  I am working to change this.  I ask that You bless the labor of my hands in this area of my life.  

No comments: