Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Hard Work of Evangelism

Today's Reading:  Psalm 20 and Matthew 22

 

Scripture:

"For many are called, but few are chosen."  Matthew 22:14

 

Observation:

The "call" spoken of here refers to the general summons offered to everyone to accept the repentance and faith offered through the gospel message.  Once a person accepts that message they become part of the chosen. 

 

This passage lays out the difficult work of evangelism.  God is willing that none should perish.  No one should be left out.  He has called His people to go out into the streets and fill His house.  The problem is that people are not always that willing to accept the offer.

 

Some, like those in Matthew 22:5, pay no attention to the offer.  They return to their careers and pursue peace and prosperity there.  Some, like those in Matthew 22:6, become come angry and attack the ones sharing the message.  They have become bitterly angered at God and violently deny his calls.  Some, like those in Matthew 22:11, initially accept the offer but then refuse to follow through with the changes required.

 

Application:

This passage kills me.  My heart is totally broken.  I can put a face with each of these three people.  I seem them every week and there is a sense of helplessness as I watch them reject the free offer of grace God has provided.  The work of evangelism is tough but it must be carried out all by who answered have answered the call.

 

Prayer:

While I can't control the choices others make I can clearly control my own choice to offer the invitation. I pray that You continually provide me with the wisdom, energy and opportunity I need to run the streets inviting others to come into Your house.  Continue to reframe my goals and objectives in life so that they wrap around Your desire to bring redemption to all people.

 

Father I ask that You continue adding to the burden on my heart for those who do not know You, until my heart is crushed.  The consequences of rejecting You are stiff.  You are gentle, patient and long suffering, but time eventually runs out.  Please forgive my complacency towards the mission You have given me.

No comments: