Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Game Plan for Difficult People

Today's Reading: Titus 1, Titus 2, & Titus 3:1-11


Scripture:

"Reject a factious man after a first and second warning..."Titus 3:10


Observation:

If there is one thing that a church is known for it is division. That is a sad but inescapable truth. Paul speaks to this a great deal in his letters to the early church. He encourages people to avoid division. The problem is that most of the people with the right answers keep quiet while people wreaking havoc gain all the focus and create quite a mess. In book of Titus Paul lays out a game plan for dealing with difficult people.


Application:

Rule One: Don't be a difficult person. To say that I am opinionated, head-strong, and passionate is a lot like saying Jaba the Hut struggles with manners. There lies within me the potential to use these strengths to build up people or to tear them down. I need to make sure that I have people around me who love me enough to tell me the truth when I cross the line into being overbearing and I must make sure that I am humble enough to receive the first and second warning.


Rule Two: Pick the battles that truly matter. If I chose to split hairs over matters I could spend all day everyday arguing over things. Several times in this passage Paul encourages me to stay clear of foolish battles. At the end of the day the heart of the gospel is the only hill upon which I should die.


Rule Three: Have a conversation before I have a conflict. I have a tendency to become deeply offended before I choose to say anything. I get angry, get my facts strait, and then erupt without warning. Titus 3:10 is a good reminder for me to have a discussion before conflict and consequences emerge. If diplomacy fails then conflict is the lone recourse remaining and I can then use it with a clean conscience.


Prayer:

I pray today that You enable me to not be a difficult person. Help me find the humility I need to accept correction and keep my mind focused on building people up. The heart of every battle between two people is an offense and it is important for me to remember that I choose when to allow someone or something to bother me. Help me to make that choice wisely. Dealing with people along the way is hard. I have a tendency to stuff frustration until it boils over. I pray for the courage to speak out early enough in the process that I might have the time I need to salvage the relationship.


Honest discussions lead to wisdom and unity. Foolish arguments produce hurt and division. I pray that in all these things my goal not be to be right; but rather my heart be set on love, truth, peace and Your will. I am grateful for all that You are and all that You do on behalf of those who love You. I pray that my day be a holy offering to You. Thanks for inviting me along for the journey.

No comments: