Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Not as They Should Be

Today's Reading: 1 Timothy 1, 1 Timothy 2 & 1 Timothy 3


Scripture:

" But the goal of our instruction is love from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith." 1 Tim 1:5


Observation:

The intended result of Paul's instruction to Timothy was love, and the purest kind of love at that. It is a love which pours naturally from a cleansed heart, a untainted conscience, and a sincere, unhypocritical faith. Each of these three traits join together in producing the most exquisite kind of selfless love which is seen in its ultimate form in God's love itself.


Application:

Paul's instruction to Timothy applies to my life today in three ways. First, a cleansed heart speaks to my motivation for pursuing God. I do not have to look very far to discover people who are using religion as a platform to accomplish their goals. My heart has to be cleansed of its own agenda and fully turned over to God.


The second speaks to my lifestyle. My conscience will never lie to me. I may intellectually justify or block out certain aspects of my behavior but ultimately there is a force at work inside of me that will point out my poor choices. I will never be able to stand firm if I am not walking in purity.


The third is a genuine acceptance of God's heart for others. That is the essence of a sincere faith. Being a Christian is not a place of privilege; it is a foundation of responsibility. The world is dying and God's heart for my faith is that it move me towards His people. Rules, regulations and intellectual debates are poor substitutes for walking in the life of the Holy Spirit and allowing that joy to spread.


Prayer:

As I read through these three chapters it becomes impossible for me to miss the fact that there are things in my life that are not as they should be. There are areas of my heart that are still powered by bent motivations. My conscience is tainted by certain behaviors that I choose to tolerate and excuse away. My faith's sincerity is threatened by my tendency to succumb to judgmental thoughts of comparison.


Father I admit to You that I am still a work in progress. I know my shortcomings and confess them to You today as being what they are; sin. I fully rely on You today to be faithful in completing the work You started in me. That is the promise of Your word and the hope of my heart. I submit to what You desire for me today and ask that You fully supply me to accomplish all that You desire for my life to be.

No comments: