Saturday, March 1, 2008

His Empowered Purpose

Scripture: "I feel compassion for the people because they have remained with me now for three days and have nothing to eat." Mark 8:2.

Observation: Jesus was in the same position as the people with Him yet he was concerned for them. Not just concerned, but had compassion. He did not just have empty compassion. He acted. He did not act with what He felt He needed; He acted with what he had. He knew that He was centered in God's will and that God always empowers His purpose.

Application: How could they not get it? Time and time again they sat and watched Jesus perform miracles. Time and time again they fail to apply the lessons observed to future events. Throughout the book of Mark I have found it quite easy to get judgmental with the 12 disciples. As I read the stories I think, you idiots. No need in trying to make it sound cleaner. That is the simple truth of what I feel like saying to them. Then it comes. That still small voice begins to speak. Often times that still small voice sounds like a mysterious ticking sound that you hear while you are trying to sleep. It's relentless pursuit continues second after second until suddenly it grows to become the loudest sound in the whole house. Today that still, small voice is asking me a simple question, "Are you really that different?" The question dances before me, beckoning me to entertain it. As I think it through I realize I am worse. No, I have never seen Jesus perform the miracles that the disciples witnessed, but I have observed him move time and time again in my own life. Still, when difficult circumstances find me, I struggle to maintain my composure. I feel the weight of the situation and assess the inadequacies of my provisions. Before long I, just as the disciples, render the situation hopeless. Just like the disciples, I have seen God work enough to know better. I have never a faced any situation anywhere close to those the disciples faced. No one has ever chased me out of town. I have never feared death over my beliefs. When I surrendered to the ministry, my family supported me. No one has asked me to feed thousands of people with a lunch-box worth of food. A storm tossed sea has never threatened to take my life, and I have certainly never seen my leader murdered in public. Most of the time it takes far less for me to lose my faith.

Prayer: I am reminded this morning of how easily I forget that you always empower Your purpose. As I move forward in life the only provisions that I need are you. I want to learn to be like Jesus. To be able to look at the faces of thousands and feel compassion; not fear and inadequacy. The foundation of my faith is believing in You. I am grateful for all the times you have stepped into my life and worked things out for your purpose and I truly repent of the times that I have lost my faith and become discouraged. It amazes me when I realize just how patient You are with me. I look forward to the day when I, like the disciples, learn to let go of my own perspective and rely fully on Yours.

No comments: