Thursday, March 27, 2008

Open Discussion

Scripture: "Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same spirit. And there are varieties of ministries, and the same Lord. There are varieties of effects, but the same God who works all things in all persons." 1 Corinthians 12:4-6

Observation: There are three main things that I see Paul laying out here.

1.) Gifts.
a. Defined as a talent, endowment, aptitude, or inclination. There are various gifts listed out in the text that follows this passage.
b. I see the gift as being the thing that you have been given that has value to God's work.
c. Paul address them as being different, but of the same Spirit.

2.) Ministries.
a. Defined as the service or function.
b. I see ministry as being the place of service where you put your gifts to work.
c. Paul addresses them as being of many types, but of the same Lord.

3.) Effects.
a. Defined as something brought about.
b. I see the effects as the end result of the gifts used in ministry. They are the outcomes.
c. Paul says that the effects are many, but they are of the same God.

Application: Sometimes I read the Bible and the take aways are immediate. It hits on something specific in my life that I can clearly identify, make application, and take action. Other times I observe something, but I am not sure what I need to do with it.

That is where I am tonight. I have observed the things listed above, but there is no sense of closure. I need to sit with it a while and see what God is has for me.

Prayer: I do not understand what it is that you would like for me to get out of this text tonight, but I would rather sit on it and spend sometime in prayer with You than I had force an application that simply is not there. I pray that You continue to lead me in where I need to go with this text. Open my eyes and my heart to see and hear a deeper understanding of Your teaching. Guide my steps as I seek wisdom and counsel from Your word. I pray that these words of Yours from Paul would continue to burn in my heart until I find a place of rest with them. In the mean time, I look forward to the discussion with You remaining open.

No comments: