Thursday, February 28, 2008

Life Journal: This One Hurts

Scripture: "…but do not have love." 1 Corinthians 13:1

Observation: This chapter is like taking a sharp stick in the eye

Application: There is so much in this chapter. I really do not know where to begin. It seems like I assess where I am and what I need to work on almost daily. As I look at the first part of the book, I see a common list of improvements on which I set my sights. Communication. Vision. Counsel. Faith. Generosity. These are definitely areas that I seek to improve. These are areas in which I really enjoy to study. Then here comes the last part; without love it will profit me nothing. NOTHING. Not something. Not a little bit. But NOTHING. Why is it that love never seems to make my list of items to improve upon? Best place to start is by looking at what love does not do. It is not impatient, unkind, jealous, self-promoting, arrogant, unbecoming in behavior, provoked, begrudging, or failing. If I am totally honest with myself, I am all those things. My patience snaps. My words can sting. I want what someone else has. I will advance my own agenda. I often feel I don't deserve correction. My behavior is quite inappropriate at times. I can flip a switch and go off in a hurry. I hold onto offense. I let other people down. All these issues are rooted in one thing. Love. Of all the things that I pray for and seek, love is often not something that I dwell on yet look at its fruit. Everything that I desire to be as a person is provided by love. So, what should I be seeking?

Prayer: My heart breaks over my own sin and pride. I have not sought love. I have not desired this above all other gifts you give. This gift hurts. It requires me to lose every sense of self interest. I have to lay all my desires on the table and step away from them to pursue love and that is what makes this so hard. Of all the things that I have prayed in the past year, this one scares me the most and requires the most dependence on You. Help me clear the slate and remove all feelings of anger and resentment. Help restore my patience with those I have taken it away from. Guide me as I push past my own preferences and truly seek Your best for the lives of those you have placed around me; regardless of the cost to me. Prevent me from comparing and keeping track of what I have done for others verses what I have received. Remind me to be ever mindful of my behavior and teach me to pursue purity in all that I say. All that love commands, I have violated. Many times I do this subconsciously and fail to confess them as sin. I own this before you today. I have sinned against You and I lay that at Your feet. I am grateful for Your Grace and accept my forgiveness through what Christ did. Fill my heart with Your Love. Place it on the forefront of everything that I do.

No comments: