Saturday, February 23, 2008

Life Journal: The "they said's"

Scripture: "and they have been told about you, that you are teaching all the Jews who are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, telling them not to circumcise their children nor to walk according to the customs."

Observation: They did not even have first had information. They took what was told to them by another person and instead of getting clarification or hearing from themselves, they reacted to the second hand information and were prepared to take the life of a man over it. A few verses later, they drag him out of the temple, beat him and are in the process of killing him over a false assumption. What a tragic example of overreactions to false information.

Application: I am an idiot. Seriously. I have seen it happen so many times that it is crazy to think that I would be susceptible to falling for it. Yet, so many times someone approaches me and says did you hear what so and so said. What is it about this type of conversation that makes it so hard to stay grounded. In all things, I need to take them first to God in prayer. He has the ability to calm my mind and speak to me wisdom. I need to seek his guidance in how I am to respond. The second thing that I need to do it go to the person something is said about and ask them for the truth. What is it that makes this part of the process so hard? It is the only logical step. There is no other place to go. After I have I have completed this, I need to return to my original source, clarify the truth and encourage them to no longer participate in the spreading of it, whether it is true or not.

Prayer: Forgive me for the times that I have participated in the destruction of another person by joining forces with the underground army of the "they said's" I am willing to bet no force on earth has created as much turmoil and pain as this group. There in nothing of You reflected in the backchannel communications. I pray for the strength to be a man of honest, openness, and directness. Even when it hurts. Teach me to be a peacemaker, to a troublemaker. Surround me with people that will seek clarity, not make assumptions about me.

No comments: