Tuesday, October 4, 2011

His Best

Read: Nehemiah 8
“This day is holy to the Lord your God; mourn not nor weep.” Nehemiah 8:9

Examine:
This verse brings to a close an amazing scene. Upon rebuilding the wall and settling into their new homes the people (not the priests) requested that the law be read and for 4 hours they stood out of respect for God’s word. As the Word was read they also took time to worship on their face before God. In the end, they wept and mourned as they saw their sin against God. Then Nehemiah, the consummate leader, got their attention and reminded them of an important fact about God. His conviction is designed to strengthen His people, not weaken them.

Apply:
For me today is a day to sit and acknowledge the work of God in my life. I can remember how I once starred at my Bible and feared opening it. I did not want to hear what it had to say about how I was living my life so I just did not read it. Then I remember another season of life when the promises of God became my focus. I could not wait to read the Bible because it offered the hope of a better life and I was all about advancing my agenda. That season of selfishness got me into the Word but it was only the bait. God began to gently apply scripture to my life and eventually began breaking down walls in my heart with it. I now find myself in a season of deep refinement. When I wake up in the mornings the first thought that comes to mind is getting into the Word and discovering what God has for me. It is a holy time. The deeper He digs into my heart the more freedom I find in my life. The more conviction He brings, the more peace I experience. The Word confronts my flesh, defeats my sin, and clears my heart.

Pray:
It is fun to sit back and reflect over life. I can remember sitting in mine and Brandy’s first home almost ten years ago. The day I am thinking about was the one when I sat down in my garage with my Bible. I sat in the floor that day and acknowledged that the life I was living was void of Your promises. I knew in my heart that there was more and I asked You for it. I agreed to submit to whatever You asked and follow Your movement. In the ten years that have passed since that day I would have never imagined all I have experienced. It is crazy to think about really. My life has followed a course I would have NEVER chosen. Yet, ten years into this new journey I stand hungry still for more. Looking back I realize that instead of giving me what I wanted You have handed me Your best. I simply want to come to You today and say thanks.

No comments: