Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Lessons to Learn

Scripture:
"Nevertheless, with most of them God was not well pleased; for they were laid low in the wilderness." 1 Corinthians 10:5

Observation:
The power of a sign. So many people ask for it. So many long for it. "Give me a sign!" I wonder just how many times those words have rang out from the mouths of hurting people searching for God and asking for a tangible sign that He was in fact there and working on their behalf. It seems so logical. If God would just do something that revealed Himself, then it would be easier to follow.

Logical as it may seem, the story of the Israelites coming out of Egypt serves as an example that signs and wonders do not make following God any easier. No group of people in the history of the world have experienced more signs and wonders. The stories captured beginning in Exodus chapter 13 are mind boggling. Every single day the people of Israel were the recipients of a tangible sign from God, yet many of them chose to not submit to God.

Application:
As much as I would like to think that I am somehow different and that I would really benefit from God showing me some love by revealing himself to me, I am not. I am the same as the people noted in the scripture. I can't even remember all the times that I have prayed to God saying, "If you would only ____ then I would _____." Many times, God filled in His blank only to watch me leave mine blank.

Instead of searching for signs to help me get started, I think I am better served learning from the mistakes made by my forefathers. Paul notes the primary ones here in Chapter 10 of 1 Corinthians verses 7 - 10.

Prayer:
Your Word is quite clear that I am to not serve idols. Serving a statue seems quite silly to me, but when I really think about the definition of an idol, I realize that my life is full of them. It is so hard to keep You first. Money should not be my idol, yet the necessity of survival is so real it makes it easy to put it first. My wife and family should not be my idol, yet their presence in my life and my love for them makes it easy for them to be first. My work should not be my idol, yet the pressures of it and my fear of failing in it seem to force it to the top of the list. I do confess to You this morning that I am guilty of serving many things other than You.

Your word says that we should not act immorally. The world that I live in is full of immorality. I am constantly offered opportunities that are outside of the commands of Your word and many times I fall. I slip, fall and intentionally walk away from You quite often. I am so very grateful for Your grace, but God I ask that You teach me to resist the things that constantly pursue me. Give me rest from the longings that consistently drag me away.

Your word says that we should not try You. Moments of doubt will inevitably come. I am so grateful for the openness that I share with You in those moments and that You have always come around me and helped strengthen me. But Father there are times that I look at something I know You have called me to and I question the goodness of that plan. I pray that You forgive me for that. I do not want the pain of circumstances to cause me to disagree with Your goodness.

Your word says to not grumble. Man, this one gets me. There are plenty of Biblical examples of men calling out to You in acceptable ways. I love to read the Psalms because of the way David honestly addressed You with how he was feeling. But in all the things David said, he always submitted to Your goodness. He never grumbled. I, on the other hand, tend to grumble. I get angry at You. I reach a point where I do not feel You move at a pace that satisfies me and it ticks me off. I desire more than anything to grow in this area. Teach me to have a grateful heart.

In all these things I rest not on my own behavior, for I have clearly proven myself to be an idiot, but I rest on Your grace to me through Christ. My only hope and peace is that You view me as holy through Him. Help me to be patient with myself as You continue the work of molding my life into the plans You have set for me.

No comments: