Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Weakness

Scripture:
"And he has said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.' Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Observation:
Weakness. There is nothing attractive about that word. I do not even like the way that it looks as I write it on paper. The world is designed to eliminate weaknesses. Just about every product on the market today is designed to satisfy, strengthen, or avoid a weakness in human nature.

Application:
That is what makes this verse so backwards to me. I want to focus on my strengths. I want God to make me strong BEFORE I do something so that I will have the confidence to do what needs to be done. But Paul does not say that Christ's power is perfected in my strength, it says it is perfected in my weakness.

As I sit with this verse this morning, I am reminded that I will never feel strong enough to handle God's call on my life. His invitation will often feel like it is outside my gift, beyond my knowledge, or against odds that can’t be overcome. This scripture reminds me that I will never feel comfortable in my own ability to do something for God.

Prayer:
There are many days that I go to bed at night feeling like I am naturally gifted at being weak. I often feel as if the walls of my faith contain more holes than do they bricks. I can't speak eloquently. I am very insecure. I have a hot temper. My life is full of chaos. I am tempted by things and I often fall to the same ones. Conflict seems to find me where ever I go. I pray for things to happen and they don't. I pray against things and they still occur.

While weaknesses are not hard for me to find, the attitude displayed by Paul in this passage is. My weaknesses seem to push me away from You; not draw me closer. My weaknesses seem to steal Your power from my life; not perfect it.

There are a few weak areas that I ask for Your help with today. Help be to rejoice today, even when I feel tempted to sulk. Help me to be made complete today, even when my flesh tells me I need something else. Allow me to find comfort today even while the battle grows in violence. Help me to be likeminded with others, even when we seem miles apart. Teach me to walk in peace, even when the flame of my anger burns hot.

In all things, I ask that Your grace, love and fellowship be made full in my life today.

No comments: