Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Above All Else, Give Me Yourself

Read: Psalm 110, 111, 112, & 114

"Praise the LORD! How blessed is the man who fears the LORD, who greatly delights in His commandments." Psalm 112:1


Examine:

Five blessings that come to one who fears God are:

(1) He is blessed with physical and material prosperity because He is righteous.

(2) Light is given even in darkness for the upright. This could refer to prosperity in place of disaster or to discernment.

(3) He receives goodness in return for being generous and just.

(4) He will be firmly established in his faith, unshakable, with no fear of what man might do to him.

(5) Because he gives to the poor he will be made strong and honorable by the LORD.

(from Bible Knowledge Commentary/Old Testament Copyright)


Apply:

As I stare at this list above I think about all that has been sacrificed trying to earn or gain those five things. In some form or fashion every self-help book ever written is designed to deliver one or more of those things to its reading audience in five simple steps. The world wars to own and possess those things. Men cheat, lie, steal and kill in hopes of gaining the things on that list. They are indeed a glorious treasure and the pursuit of them can become quite intoxicating.


As I read the verse I am also taken aback at the reminder that as wonderful and desirable as those five things are they are not the main thing; fellowship with God is. My desire to be holy before God should take first place over those things. He promises those things to me when I fear Him and take great delight in His statues. When my life is in alignment with His heart I can rest knowing that His blessings will come freely to me.


Prayer:

Father I desire to fear You and delight in Your commandments, but I want that desire to grow. I want You to ascend to Your proper place in my life. I want to wake up in the mornings and know beyond any doubt that You are the LORD my God. I want to speak of You as one who has entered Your presence, dined at Your table, and relaxed in Your house. I want to share Your Word with others as one who has found great treasure. I want my life to leave behind an aroma that invites others to enter and dine in Your house.


I do ask that You forgive the greedy nature of my flesh. I have a tendency to look at the blessings and attempt to use You as a get-rich-quick scheme. The blessings You provide are not designed to be my delight. They are only intended to serve as proof to the world that You are a good and powerful God. Being able to experience You presence and have fellowship with You is designed to be my delight, my reward, and my everything. Above all else today, give me Yourself.

No comments: