Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Increasing My Faith

Read: Luke 17

"The apostles said to the Lord, 'Increase our faith!'" Luke 17:5


Examine:

The Lord had just spoken to apostles and raised His expectations on them. Their reaction to the new standard was to confess to Him that their faith was not strong enough. They were humble enough to admit that their faith did not contain the strength to do what was being asked of them. In this chapter I see a few things that will lead result in increasing my faith.


Apply:

I have to start with the faith that I have. As I read the parable of the mustard seed I hear God saying to me do not wait for tree sized faith before you get started pursuing deeper things with me. Take whatever sized faith you have and plant it somewhere. It is only after You use what I am giving you that you will be given more.


I have to develop the mentality of a slave. Verse ten really drives this point home. The problem with me is that I want to work with God more in terms of an investor. I will give of mine but I expect a good reward and full recognition for my efforts. That is an attitude of arrogance and it will not increase my faith. God's call on my life is to live my life as His son, but to work for Him as a slave. If my heart and mind settle on a feeling of entitlement then I have missed the mark and will not see my faith grow.


I have to go before I feel equipped. That is the lesson I gain from the ten lepers being healed. Verse 14 says, "As they were going they were cleansed." I often want to feel ready before I do what God has asked of me. I assess myself and feel unworthy of God. I am a broken pot and there is much in my life that is not as it should be. I feel like I need to be made well before I am put into the game. That is not how God works. My healing is found in my obedience; not in my waiting. I have to vow in my heart to keep moving and trust that I too will cleansed on my way.


Finally, I have to celebrate God with gratitude. This lesson is illustrated perfectly in verse seventeen. Ten lepers were healed; only one returned to thank Jesus. It is so easy to become ungrateful or get puffed up and forget what God has done for me. My gratitude towards God for what he has done in my life is the fuel for my faith. The moment I stop giving thanks to God and acknowledging His work in my life is the very moment I chose to shut off the life to my faith.


Pray:

Father, I have viewed my relationship with you through the lens of an investor. I give and expect an adequate return before I move forward with giving You more. That is an attitude that is not fitting the calling You have on my life nor does it honor the sacrifices You made in redeeming me from death. It is an attitude of arrogance, ungratefulness, and self-centeredness. I confess that to You this morning and lay that attitude down at the foot of the cross. You are the master and I am the slave. Where You lead I will go. Whatever, wherever, whenever; You have my yes.


What little faith I have I have planted in what You have laid on my heart. I ask for wisdom as I tend to this seed of faith. Arrange the conditions necessary for it to grow and flourish. Continue to speak to me and keep me moving ahead. Guard my heart from thinking of myself as anything other than a slave. Allow me to recognize the healing that is taking place in my heart. Lead me to celebrate Your work with a gratitude that surpasses understanding.

No comments: