Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I'm No Better

Read: Luke 23

"And he released the man they were asking for who had been thrown into prison for insurrection and murder, but he delivered Jesus to their will." Luke 23:25


Examine:

The people exchanged the life of Christ to satisfy their own desires. They accepted the life of a murderer for the life of the Son of God. They accepted their anger and disappointment in exchange for the life of Word of God.


Apply:

In reading about the crucifixion of Christ it is easy to throw stones at Pilate, Herod, the disciples, and the Jews. It is easy to take myself out of the story and judge the ones who are left in it. It is easy, but it is also foolish.


I am no different. I am Pilate. I try to use logic to convince people but buckle if they resist hard. I am Herod. I want to see Jesus perform a sign or wonder so that I can experience something supernatural. I am the disciples. I fall apart when things test my beliefs and faith. I am the Jewish leaders. I lock in on tradition and my ears become deaf to the new work of Christ in my life. I am no better. In fact I am worse.


The people in this story did not know; I do. I know that Christ conquers death and the grave. I know that the veil is torn. I know about the gift of the Holy Spirit and the forgiveness of sin. I know; yet, I still exchange the work of the cross for the desires of my flesh. All I can say is thank you God for grace.


Pray:

I am so very thankful this morning that I am able to come to You in prayer. According to the truth found in this chapter from Luke, the veil has been torn and I am able to come into Your presence freely. No priest is required for mediation and no sacrifice is demanded in exchange for my sin. All that work was completed at the cross.


I pray that You forgive me for being a coward like Pilate. Strengthen me to stand for Your truth regardless of the voice coming from the crowd. I ask that You forgive me of being like Herod and treating You like some court jester in asking You to perform for me so that I may believe. I pray for a faith that is able to stand outside of signs and wonders. I ask that You forgive me for locking in on the way things have always been and my tendency to mistrust anything new. I pray that I never put You or Your work in a box. From where I am and as best I can I offer my life to You today. Strengthen me in my spirit to follow after the leading of Yours.

No comments: