Wednesday, August 4, 2010

A Weak and Frail Man

Read: Luke 4

"And they were amazed at His teaching, for His message was with authority." Luke 4:32


Examine:

A lot happened before this verse. Jesus, led by the Holy Spirit, spent 40 days in the wilderness fasting and being tempted by satan. He emerged from that period of testing in the power of the Holy Spirit and began teaching. He returned to His home town where they promptly studied Him as a novelty and then tried to throw Him from a cliff. He left their midst and continued to preach the word with authority.


Apply:

I do not like the wilderness. I am not that fond of fasting. Confrontation that is not justified sets my heart on vengeance and well timed temptation brings down my defenses like a house of cards. I think that I am often guilty of wanting the power of Jesus without the sacrifice of Jesus. I want to speak with authority, but I do not want to pay the price required to acquire it. There are simply too many limits on what I am willing to suffer for the glory of God.


Pray:

In the midst of my sleep last night You woke me up with a question I failed to answer correctly. I have sat with that question for most of the morning and I regret the response You got from me last night, but I am grateful for what it has stirred inside of me today.


I have limits. I am a fragile and frail man. It does not take very much to weaken me or throw me down from my perceived place of strength. I live an extremely pampered life for which I am completely ungrateful to have. Outside of my normal routine, my faith does not stand very tall. In the presence of genuine sacrifice and lifestyles set apart as unique for you, I hold my faith as a cheap imitation of something real.


Father, I cannot fix this. I am full of the Holy Spirit, but I am not living in the power of the Holy Spirit. I confess my awareness of this and I also confess that the cause of this weakness in me is my own selfish desires to maintain my comfort and have things my way.


I ask that You speak to me in a new way and lead me to a new place. Allow the power of Your Holy Spirit inside of me to begin to be manifest out of me. Assuage my fears and awaken the soul of the Lion You intend for me to be.

No comments: