Thursday, February 10, 2011

Best Next Steps

Read: Exodus 33-34 & Acts 17

“For how shall it be known that I have found favor in your sight, I and your people?” Exodus 33:16

Examine:

Moses had just experienced the most difficult leadership challenge he had faced. He would answer his own question in verse 17 by saying that it was only in the LORD going with them that it would be known. Moses had to work hard at leading the people to the new land, but he never lost sight of the fact that it was the presence, leading and glory of God that would bring them success.

Apply:

There is work involved in following after God. He is the One that makes things happen, but I have to put my shoulder into the labor. In the midst of that it is easy to lose sight of the LORD. I can press ahead of Him, I can lag behind Him, and I can flat out ignore Him. Regardless of where I am, my best next step is always the one that leads me back to the presence of God and submits to His direction.

Pray:

Father, the course of the past few months of my life have been unlike anything I have ever known. There have been so many twists, turns, and drops that I have often found myself locked up with fear and wondering what was next. There have been moments when I felt You so close that it felt like I stood in Your shadow. There have also been times when You felt so distant that I wondered if You had abandoned me.

In the course of the past few weeks, I have taken more risks for Your name than I have in the previous years of my life combined. I have followed Your voice in my heart to the letter as best I could. I have not made choices based on personal desires or my own comfort. I have done nothing unless You have affirmed it with Your perfect peace. I stand firm today.

I stand not because of my great faith. I stand only because I know that You will defend the glory of Your name. You are not a God of confusion. You will not lead me to a place that will disgrace Your name or discourage Your people. So, I stand firm in Your name today and confess that the only way people will know that I have found favor in Your sight is in Your going before me and blessing the work You have handed me for Your glory alone.

I pray that You allow me access to Your heart, Your presence, Your wisdom, and Your direction today. Allow my every thought to lead me to discern only Your timing and plans.

No comments: