Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Quiet Reflection

Read: Exodus 16-17 & Acts 8

“and for three days he was without sight, and neither at nor drank.” Acts 9:9

Examine:

Saul was a man on a mission. He genuinely loved God. Unlike the balance of the religious elite Saul’s persecution of the church was a result of His zealousness for God. He was not trying to protect his religious rituals or keep God defined to a box.

As well intentioned as he was he missed God. He missed God and as a result inflicted a great deal of pain, suffering, and death on innocent people. Such is the case with well-intended, hard charging, but mis-directed men of God. God intercepted Saul’s life and forced him to sit without sight for three days. During this time of quiet reflection God redirected the life of Saul. He would obtain a new name, a new mission, and an even greater passion.

Apply:

Quiet reflection. Those words sound to me like fingernails on a chalkboard. I am hard charging. I do not like to sit still and I abhor waiting. My ADD mind in reflection mode is like trying to listen to a radio stuck on scan. Quiet reflection is a spiritual trait that is missing from my life. I wake up everyday between 4:30 and 5:00. I spend time in the word and journal what God lays on my heart. From 6:00 til 7:30 my mind is consumed with getting kids dressed, dressing myself, and getting everyone to school. 8:00 – 5:00 is filled with the tasks created by the 15 projects I have going righting now. 5:00 – 7:30 is supper with the kids, baths, and getting the kids down. By 8:00 my mind is fried and my body is tired. I read a little, spend some time with Brandy (although we are both mostly catatonic) and then I crash for the night somewhere between 9:00 and 10:00. Saturdays are full of the kid’s activities and yard work. Sunday’s are serving at the church, church service and leading my small group. Quiet reflection gets lost in the shuffle.

Pray:

I am sitting here this morning and I am struggling to with what to do with this. You get the first hour of my day on most days. I sit with Your Word and open my heart to be adjusted, corrected, and encouraged. You meet me daily and I am always amazed at what You reveal to me. As wonderful as my time alone with You during the day is, I feel like something is missing. I feel like I shift into a different mode after my morning prayer. It is like I put You down and then run the race before me. I do not stay connected with You, I do not fully rely on You, and I mostly work the things I know to do. At the end of the day I judge success based on the things I marked off my list and then I rest.

I do not know how to pray this morning other than to acknowledge to You that I hear You saying something is not just right. I accept that You are saying I need extended times of quiet reflection and a greater connection with You as I go through my days. I do not know how to get there from here but I am open to whatever You lay on my heart to do.

No comments: