Monday, February 14, 2011

Struggles in Following

Read: Exodus 38-39 & Acts 20

“In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of Jesus…” Acts 20:35

Examine:

Paul made sure that his life served as a model for the things of God. In this verse there are three great reminders for living a life on mission: 1) Remember the words of Jesus. 2) Help the weak. 3) Work hard.

Apply:

Remembering the words of Jesus is more than obtaining the ability to recite them. Remembering His words means studying them, applying them, and making them the backdrop of my life. Remembering His words means that my first priority in life is set solely on becoming a reliable reflection of Jesus and becoming a living message of God’s glory to the world around me. This is my primary task in life.

Helping the weak is a reminder of two things. First, there are people stronger than me and I need to be humble enough to allow them to speak into my life. Second, There are people weaker than me and I need to allow my life to be poured out as a source of strength for them. In both of these things it is a reminder that my life is not designed to be lived in isolation.

The final reminder from Paul is to work hard. Being a Christian is not about my best life now. It is not about meditation and inner peace. There is nothing in the scripture that speaks of using Christ as an easy button for life. It is designed to be work. I am called to be a laborer. I must constantly evaluate the labor associated with my faith. If there is no labor to accompany my faith then I have to know that I am not following Jesus.

Pray:

I’ve spent the majority of my Christian life trying to find a way to avoid sacrifice. I want to give, but only out of my abundance. I want to obey, but only if it brings a reward. I want to share my faith, but only if it is with someone who is receptive. I want to follow You, but only if I am assured of success. I want my life to be Yours, but only if that choice leads me to comfort.

I am thinking about the struggles I face in following you. My difficulty is not in following You. My problem is I try to follow You and hold on to my life. That is not only difficult; it is impossible. My life has to be poured out. That is not something I am ready to do. In all honesty this is the greatest struggle I face right now. The price of saying “yes” to You is greater than the joy I find in being obedient to You. I am asking You to do a new work in my heart today.

Help me today to remember ALL the words of Jesus and to do so in a manner that will empower me to complete the task that You have given me. Send into my life the people I need to strengthen and also supply me with the believers I need to spur me on. Stir my soul to engage the hard work that is ahead of me and lead me to be a strong craftsman as I carry out the blue prints You set before me.

No comments: