Saturday, February 12, 2011

Leadership Lessons from Moses

Read: Exodus 36-37 & Acts 19
“And Moses called Bezalel and Oholiab and every craftsman in whose mind the LORD had put skill, everyone whose heart stirred him up to come do the work.” Exodus 36:2

Examine:

God did not have Moses work alone. He planted in the hearts of men the desire to join Moses in completing the work. Had Moses tried to do it on his own it would have been incomplete.

Apply:

There are three critical leadership lessons from Moses in this chapter. First, Moses was clear on the call from God. The anointing of God flows to His vision not my best ideas. Above all things in life I have to be a leader who hears from God and surrenders his heart to pursue the work to which God calls him; regardless of my preferences.

Second, Moses passed the vision on to two guys who were capable of doing the work. This is critical. He did not find two people who would simply do what he said. He found two people whose gifting from God enabled them to do what he could not do alone. Delegation is never about control and trust. It is about empowering others to accomplish their role in fulfilling God’s purpose.

Finally, Moses pushed the vision out to every craftsman. He had his inner circle, but Moses also understood that God planted in the hearts of others the final pieces of the puzzle required to accomplish his task. As I speak to others my job is not to sell them on what I do or use them for my plans. My purpose is to engage the skills and passions God has planted inside of them. My mission is to see their gifts from God bring glory to God.

Pray:

The past few months have represented the best and worst of times. The highs have been amazing and the lows have been gut wrenching. In the midst of it all I have felt the painful work of you chiseling away at the prideful stone that surrounds my heart. The leader I am today looks back on the leader I once was and laments over the mistakes I have made. I see many moments when I was not faithful to the gifts You placed in others, when I shrunk back instead of defending, when I held on instead of letting go, and when I moved forward before I heard your voice.

Father, I do not want to carry the mistakes of my past into Your work for my future. I lay at Your feet this morning and ask for Your voice, Your strength, and Your provision to confirm the work You have set aside for me. I acknowledge that You are stirring in the hearts of an inner circle of people the skills and passion needed to accomplish all that You have laid on my heart. I need Your guidance in connecting with them and honoring the passion You have given them. Finally Father I pray for Your anointing as I begin to share the vision You have given me. I ask that I connect deeply with the heart You have placed inside of others to walk humbly before You, to act for justice, and to bring kindness to the hurting.

No comments: