Monday, July 4, 2011

Always Finding God

Read: Proverbs 4
“Then he taught me and said to me, ‘Let your heart hold fast to my words; Keep my commandments and live;’” Proverbs 4:4

Examine:
This conversation between David and Solomon is recorded in 1 Chronicles 28:10. There are three main words Solomon heard David encourage him to hold fast. First, develop a personal knowledge of God. Appreciate, obey, cherish and understand God for yourself. Second, serve Him with a blameless heart and a willing mind. Third, inquire of God and seek Him as your first and most vital necessity. When you seek Him in that way you will always find Him.

Apply:
I can’t live off of the expression of God I see in others. Reading books and learning from leaders is a critical part of gaining wisdom, but another person’s experience of God is not mine and will never be of any real value for me. I have to know God for myself and stand firm on my own faith.

To God, the motives behind my actions are at least as important as the actions themselves. God wants me to pursue Him with a heart that is blameless and a mind that is willing.

Truth be known, it is easy to slip into a mode where I seek God as a catalyst or protector of the things I have decided to do. I get myself into the middle of something and then turn to God for assurance, protection or deliverance. God wants me seeking Him like my life depends on finding Him in that instance.

Pray:
I am in a place where my faith has never been. I have been led to this place by Your Spirit and prepared for this work by the great men and women You have allowed to be part of my life. The crazy part of this journey is that it is one that I have had to go on my own. The faith of others helped get me here but I can’t stand on their faith. I have to know You myself as wisdom, power, provision, protection, and deliverance. I have to see with my own eyes You move mountains and shake the heavens. My heart is blameless before You today and my mind is set solely on You. I do not want to seek You second today. I come to You first and want to return to You only. Lead me today. Let my lips hold fast to praise and help my prayers be continually before You. I ask that You not veil Your face today but that I may see it in its full radiance.

No comments: