Friday, July 15, 2011

Highs and Lows

Read: Haggai 1
“4 Is it time for you yourselves to dwell in your paneled houses while this house [of the Lord] lies in ruins? 5 Now therefore thus says the Lord of hosts: Consider your ways and set your mind on what has come to you.” Haggai 1: 4-5

Examine:
This letter from Haggai came during the rebuilding of the temple led by Ezra. Things had started out great. The people had the support of Cyrus and the work was progressing well. They had laid the foundation and had a massive celebration service. Then opposition arose. The enemies of God came against them and struck fear and frustration to the point that the people wanted to quit.

Apply:
Following after God is an amazing journey of highs and lows. There is nothing more amazing than sitting on the top of a mountain with God and experiencing His presence following a breakthrough or the completion of a task. Likewise, there is nothing quite as dark and confusing as the hard opposition that comes against what God desires.

The dark opposition comes in many forms. Regardless of the source, dark times of spiritual warfare are terrible seasons of endurance. In the midst of trials it is always important to stop, consider what is going on, and then return to that task that has been given.

Pray:
I am so very grateful to You for yesterday. I woke up realizing that I was tired and in desperate need of some success. You affirmed a lot for me in the meetings I had and my soul found some much needed rest. Today is a new day and I want to approach it with a sense of possibility. You opened some big doors yesterday and the barns behind them are far more than I would ever be able to fill. Yet, I sit here this morning fully expecting You to use me to do just that. Faith is a crazy-wild ride, but what a thrill!

I look at this verse and my answer is no, it is not time for me to live a padded life. This is a season of deep sacrifice as You rebuild what the enemy has destroyed here in South Africa. By faith I stand firm on what You have given me to do and what You have affirmed as my mission and purpose here.

I am awakened today with a strong sense of dependence on You. Father, I do not need any other means besides You speaking a word over us. I pray that today. We do not have much of what we need. Would you speak for us? The children in the community of Sweetwaters need Your provision and the laborers who have stood firm are in need of Your power to deliver. I ask that their prayers be loud in Your presence today. Just as You moved on the heart of Cyrus to enable, empower, and fund the work of the Israelites, I pray that Your presence would stir and flow over the work here in Sweetwaters.

While I wait on Your power to come, I continue to stand firm in faith. No form of opposition, whether it be from friend or foe, can come against what You have spoken to be done here. You will provide, You will move, and we will see Your glory come in full. I pray that asking and believing without a wavering doubt in my heart.

No comments: