Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Laying Down My Rights

Reading: Acts 16

"But Paul said to them, 'They have beaten us in public without trial, men who are Romans, and have thrown us into prison; and now are they sending us away secretly? No indeed! But let them come themselves and bring us out.'" Acts 16:37


Examination:

Born a Roman citizen, Paul had certain rights, including a public hearing. And no Roman citizen was supposed to be scourged. He could have engaged his rights at any time, yet he choose to wait. Had he used his rights as a Roman citizen he would have missed out on the suffering, but he also would have missed out on the miraculous events that took place that night.


Application:

This is not fair. I deserve better. Why me and not him? I have done everything I was supposed to and this is what I get? Those legitimate questions often pop into my mind. There are certain circumstances that just do not seem fair. There is nothing about suffering injustice is enjoyable.


Paul choose to suffer. The result of his suffering saw some crazy things happen that he would have never experienced outside of the pain to which he submitted. I am reminded this morning that I always want the growth, but I rarely desire to pay for it.


Prayer:

Father there is nothing in life worthy of pursuing that does not come at a price. Success requires long hours of dedication and personal sacrifice. Financial stability requires discipline and the pain of unmet desires. Physical health requires consistent exercise and a lot of saying no. A strong family requires intentionality and high levels of personal sacrifice. Nothing comes for free. Nothing of lasting worth just happens.


So this begs the question, why would I think my relationship with You should be any different? You describe the way to You as being narrow. You say that few will choose You. You warn that it will cost me everything. So why am I so surprised that my flesh often cries out against Your leadership in my life?


Outside of You moving and stirring in my heart there is no way that I can pursue a genuine relationship with You. Outside of Your tangible presence there is no way I can say no to my own desires and find joy in seeking Yours. My heart cries out to You today. I desire now more than ever before to be a part of Your movement.

No comments: