Tuesday, February 16, 2010

My Anger

Reading: Acts 23

"The high priest Ananias commanded those standing beside him to strike him on the mouth." Acts 23:2


Examination:

Ananias was a religious leader but was an evil man. He was known for being profane, dishonest, and hot-tempered. Leaders reproduce what they are. This chapter is an example of anger at its best. It blinded the council from the truth, split the council over opinions, and consumed the council with vengeance.


Application:

My anger does not accomplish the righteousness of God. At its best my anger will blind me, split me, and consume me.


Prayer:

Father, why I allow my anger to lead me away is beyond me. Time and time again my life has proven that my anger is useless. Being angry is not a sin but my reaction to my anger often results in sin. I become stubbornly opposed to hearing truth. I create splits among people in order to argue my case. I allow my mind to be constantly consumed with thoughts about what I should have said or what I will say next. There is no uglier reflection of me than the one I see when I am angry. I desire to not be blinded, split, and consumed by my anger. I look at the amount of humility Paul had in this scene and I am amazed. I see something in him that I value to have in myself.


I ask that You encourage me today. Staying out of arguments, avoiding being offended, and keeping my emotions at bay are tasks that exist beyond my grasp. My only hope is that Your Spirit in me prove to be greater than the things that are in the world.

No comments: