Monday, February 1, 2010

Simple Simon

Reading: Acts 8

"...and they all, from smallest to greatest, were giving attention to him, saying, 'This man is what is called the Great Power of God.'" Acts 8:10


Examination:

This text was used to describe the reputation of a man named Simon. He was a magician of sorts and people were amazed at him. They observed his work and complimented him as being empowered by God. But it was all empty. Simon was nothing. He had no power or authority. He was just a simple conman running a con for money.


Application:

There are two warnings in this text for me. First, people's affirmation is a poor indicator of success. Peer pressure is an incredible power. In verse one of this chapter I see then entire Jewish council affirming Saul as he persecuted the church. It is a scary reminder that people will tell you that your direction is ok all the way over the edge of a cliff. My affirmation must only come by evidence of God working in my life.


Second, esteeming a person is risky business. The reputation of a person adds weight to their words and works. It is really easy to get caught up in that. People are people. We all sin. We all fall short. We all make mistakes. Holding a person in high regard must be balanced by not allowing their opinion to take God's place of control in my life.


Prayer:

This to me is the first story of Simple Simon. Simon looked towards power, money, and influence as indicators of success. He desired to be a person of influence and that was the purpose of his pursuit.


I pray that You give me a pure pursuit of You. Work in my heart and remove from me my desire to be honored by people and protect me from foolishly following after a person who is not grounded in Your heart and Word.


Father there is much in this chapter from Acts that I do not understand, but this much is clear. If I follow the leading of Your Spirit I will experience things unexplainable and see first hand Your redemption of this world. That is my desire and that is my prayer. Above anything else center me in Your movement today.

No comments: