Saturday, February 13, 2010

Parting Words

Reading: Acts 20

"When he had said these things, he knelt down and prayed with them all." Acts 20:36


Examination:

This was Paul's last meeting with this group. He was returning to Jerusalem and he knew that it would be his last trip. He desired to strengthen them to endure what would come. He encouraged them to work hard, help the weak, and remember the words of Jesus.


Application;

Hard work for God does not equate to one day a week. God has called me to a lifestyle of serving him. Hard work does not include shrinking back from difficult circumstances. God has called me to live beyond my zone of comfort. Hard work does not mean I be conservative and do the minimum. God's will is that I breathe my last knowing I gave Him all I had.


Helping the weak is tough. The weak are messy. They argue. They get confused. They fall down. They demand much and give little. They turn on you and on God the moment things get tough. They take and have very little to offer in return. The patient and loving pursuit of those weak in faith or outside of the faith must never cease to stir in my heart. I must also be reminded that I too am a weak brother in need of help.


Remember the words of Jesus. I have to live the life of Christ. I will never be perfect as He was but He is my model none the less. The words of Christ should permeate everything I do. My heart, my words, my actions, and my thoughts should all be continually dipped in the grace of Christ. My life should be broken and poured out as a offering to my Father.


Prayer:

Father I pray that the words of Christ be driven into the deepest parts of my heart. This life to which You have called me is beyond my own abilities. I simply can't get there on my own. I ask that You work in my heart so that I my find the courage, drive, and strength required to work hard after Your call. I ask that You give voice to the work You have done in my heart so that I may be able to offer help to those in need.

No comments: