Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Hear and Understand

Read: Matthew 15

"After Jesus called the crowd to Him, He said to them, 'Hear and understand.'" Matthew 15:10


Examine:

The Pharisees were greatly feared. They were men of power and of influence. They literally had the power of life and death over the Jewish people. Their traditions were treated as being equal to God's commands. Jesus was redefining their scorecards and did not want them to miss it.


Apply:

Hear and understand. This is such a simple command, but it contains such power. To hear means to listen with favor, assent, or compliance. To listen means to be in the presence of God and engage in the things He is saying. It is so easy to miss this in my life. I can get so busy and be so disengaged that it becomes nearly impossible for me to hear a word from God. Finding time to slow down, shut down, and sit down at the feet of Jesus is critical.


To understand means to apprehend clearly the character, nature, or subtleties and take it as agreed or settled. God does not want me to just comply with the letter of His law. He wants me to clearly see past the letters and see His character and nature. There are times in my life when I force my actions to comply with God's word but I allow my heart to run wild. This is not what God honors.


Pray:

Father,

I am excited to have another day of life. There are pressures before me today that are quite heavy to carry but I am amazed at how You are strengthening me right now. Your power, love, mercy, and grace are so evident in my life right now, thank You.


I do not want to go through the motions today. I have so much on my plate, it would be easy to blow right through this day and miss out on what Your desire for me to hear and understand. Help me to be sensitive and alert to You today. I ask that Your voice be loud and clear to me. I give You my ears, my heart and my submission today.

No comments: