Sunday, November 28, 2010

On My Face

Read: Matthew 26:47-75

"And he went out and wept bitterly." Matthew 26:75


Examine:

Peter had a tough night. He fell asleep though Jesus asked for him to pray with Him through His darkest hours. He struck a slave on the ear when they came for Jesus and was corrected by Jesus for his actions. He followed Jesus at a distance and denied Him three times before the roster crowed. He lost everything on this night. His Savior was arrested and beaten. His fellow disciples were disbanded and sent into hiding. In one night Peter went from the rock upon which Jesus would build his church to a cowering man cursing Jesus to a slave girl. This chapter of his life ends with him leaving to weep bitterly over his failures.


Apply:

I have experienced some dark nights in my life. As I reflect on those moments I am encouraged to see that Peter's ministry to Christ was not ruined by one night of bad choices. Quite the opposite happened. Peter's night of failure rushed him to the end of himself. The reason for this is that Peter allowed his heart to be broken of his failure. He did not deny it. He did not become obstinate. He left and wept bitterly. That is the best place for me to be as a follower of Christ; on my face, bitterly weeping over my failure.


Pray:

Father, You are great and Your name is greatly to be praise. Above all things You sit and rule. I am grateful this morning for your presence and leadership in my life.


I am reminded this morning that I will never live a sinless life. I will fail. I will fall away. I will stumble as I am led away by my own desires and shortcomings. It is an inevitable part of my life. I am not perfect and will never achieve perfection until I am perfected in the life to come with Jesus. I confess this to You this morning. I pray that I will never lose sight of it. I pray that my heart will continually be humbled by the mess of a man I can be and that You will keep my heart tender to Your conviction and allow me to fully sense the grieving of the Holy Spirit inside of me when I make poor choices. I ask that all my sins lead me to a place of weeping and confession.


I am also reminded this morning of the words from a song: "

"There's a peace I've come to know

Though my heart and flesh may fail

There's an anchor for my soul

I can say 'It is well'.

Jesus has overcome

And the grave is overwhelmed

The victory is won

He is risen from the dead"


That is my peace today. That is my rest, my confidence, my strength and my assurance. As long as I allow my heart to be molded by Your correction of my sin I have nothing to fear and no guilt to carry. My life is never over and my purpose is always ahead of me. My soul is anchored and I boldly proclaim it is well with me today because of Jesus in my life. Thank You Father. Thank You.

No comments: