Sunday, January 23, 2011

Life Unshakeable

Read: Genesis 46-47 & Psalm 14-15

“He who does these things will not be shaken.” Psalm 15:5

Examine:
The things that David lists in verse one of this chapter are: walks with integrity, works righteousness, and speaks truth in his heart. He then goes on to list some specifics and closes out the chapter with this verse offering assurance that the man who does these things will never be shaken. I find it interesting that David does not mention one single act of religion in this chapter on assurance. Every act listed in this chapter has to do with living generously with fellow believers, making peace while avoiding strife, and refusing the company of the vile.

Apply:

I must walk with integrity. Integrity is the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles. Walking means that my honesty and strong morals are not passive things that live in confines of my home. It means that my integrity is revealed in the actions I take.

I must work righteousness. This can be simply stated as doing what is right. Integrity has to do with what I do for myself. Doing what is right has to do with what I do for others. Working righteously means that I am willing to defend he weak, give generously, and encourage others to live for God. It is an active process that will likely come at a cost to me personally.

Finally, I must speak truth in my heart. This verse does not say to speak what I perceive to be true in my heart. It says to speak what is truth according to God. There is a big difference. My heart is a tricky thing to manage. It is easy to allow things in there that seem right and true to me only to discover that they are nothing more than selfish ambitions or comfortable truths. It is easy to allow hurt and fear to capture my heart and then disguise themselves as truth. I need to sit daily and allow the Word of God to adjust and align the truth that is in my heart.

Pray:

The depths of my heart are beyond my control. I can’t understand them and I am powerless to overcome them. The things that lie in my heart always seem right to me. That is what makes them so hard to examine and adjust. You and You alone have the power to transform what lies inside of my heart. I give myself to You today and pray that You work in my heart so that it contains truth. I ask that You help me value what is right even when it causes me loss or pain and that I would accept nothing in my life that would compromise my integrity. These are the keys to an unshakable life. I pray that You lead me to possess, teach me to love them, and train me to protect them.

No comments: