Sunday, January 30, 2011

These Three of Mine

Read: Exodus 11 – 12 & Acts 6

“And when your children say to you, ‘What do you mean by this service?’” Exodus 11:26

Examine:

God understood the importance of the Israelites passing on to their children a spiritual inheritance. He did not want them to only pass on the rituals, but to make sure that their kids understood the purpose behind the ritual.

Apply:

There are a couple of things that stand out to me with this verse. First, I need to live out my faith in my home. The presence of God and weight of my obedience should be such that my kids take notice of it and my relationship with them should be such that they feel comfortable in asking me to explain it. Matter of fact, I should use the frequency with which they ask about my relationship with God as an indicator of how real God is to me. If those closest to me are not being impacted by the work of God in my heart then something is not as it should be.

Second, I need to put more value on the spiritual inheritance I leave for my kids than I do anything else. More than sports, hunting, life skills, or college funds; I have to make sure that my kids know and understand what it means to serve God. It is not enough to trust that they are catching it from me. I need to have intentional conversations with them. I need to know where they are, understand the questions they have, and pray purposefully for each of them.

Pray:

Father, my kids normally spend the bulk of their time with me when I am at my worst. They see me early in the morning when we are under the gun to get dressed, eat breakfast and make it to school. Then they see me at the tail end of the day after the weight of work has worn me down and we have dinner, baths, and homework left to complete. There are weeks when they honestly get lost in the shuffle and can become one more set of things on my to-do list.

This morning I am reminded of the powerful potential that they each possess. I am reintroduced to the fact that my first and primary mission in life is to launch those little rascals as arrows aimed straight towards the heart You have for each of them.

Henley has a heart of service that is incredible. Her love for people and Your creation is so evident. She has a great desire to see people cared for and happy. I pray that You help me teach her Your heart for her life. I am grateful that she has already acknowledged You as her God and Jesus as her savior. Teach her now what it means to give You control of her life and protect the decisions that she makes. The foundations of her faith are being formed now. Allow me the insights I need to be a strong leader in her life.

Bryce has a compassion that is greater than any of my kids and within him lies strength and boldness to be a great leader. His young heart is tender and his spirit is strong. There is an independence and inquisitiveness that causes him to seek things out and pursue a deeper understanding on his own. I pray that You help me understand where he is, what he is thinking and the questions that he has. I pray that I not be so busy that I blow past opportunities to speak into his life. I trust that You will continue to lead him to surrender his life to You and give me a peace as to when he will be ready.

Hayes makes me laugh unlike anything I have ever seen. That boy is fierce, unconquerable, and unrelenting. There are days these traits can press me to the point of exhaustion. There are settings in which these assets of his can cause him trouble and wear out the people in charge of him. I pray that You lead me to harness his strengths, but to not break them. He is so young and there is much about him that is still unknown to me. Lead me to understand his heart, his gifts, and his journey with You.

You sent these three to me to serve in accomplishing Your purposes for their lives. There is no greater responsibility handed to me than that of being a good steward with their lives, to be an effective spiritual figure for them, and to be a safe place for them to help process the contents of their heart.

No comments: