Friday, January 28, 2011

What Matters Most

Read: Exodus 7-8 & Acts 4

“for we cannot but speak of what we have seen and heard.” Acts 4:20

Examine:

It is amazing to watch the development of the disciples. They went from common men, discarded by the religious community to weak followers of the Messiah. Then they went from weak followers of the Messiah to men running for their lives and cowering in fear. Now in this verse we find them bold men who, while staring death in the face, cannot help but speak according to what they have experienced.

Apply:

My life is a journey. Just like the disciples I will not arrive all at once. Day by day, as they spent time with Jesus they grew in wisdom, strength, courage, and boldness. The same is for me. I often feel pressed to be all I can be all at once. That is not God’s expectation of me at all. He knows where I am and where I will end up. He fully knows the time it will take, the mistakes I must make, and the lessons I must learn. What matters most in my life is not my scorecard. The only thing that really matters is allowing Jesus to wreck my heart and my life with His presence and Spirit. Allowing Him access to my heart is my only contribution to the process. God takes care of the rest.

Pray:

Father, my prayer to You today is found in the words of this song, “Single minded, whole hearted, one thing I ask. 

Single minded, Jesus, whole hearted, one thing I ask. That I may gaze upon Your beauty, oh Lord. 

That I may seek Your holy face. 

That I may know You in an intimate way and follow after You all of my days; for all of life comes down to just one thing and that's to know You, oh Jesus and make You known.”


No comments: