Monday, July 14, 2008

Bridges to Cross

Scripture:
"But My righteous one shall live by faith; and if he shrinks back, My soul has no pleasure in him." Hebrews 10:38

Observation:
Yesterday I went running. There is a bridge on the running trail that takes you over 150 yards of swamp. I ran across it with out any hesitation. No second thoughts. I just barreled over it with my daughter trailing right behind me. I put my faith in that bridge with no concerns. I did not have any reason to doubt that bridge. By all appearances, it was safe. But I have crossed bridges in the past that did not make me all that comfortable.

Growing up I can think of one in particular. It was an old and several boards were missing. It always scared me to go across it. Same situation I faced yesterday while running only this time my faith in the bridge was not absolute. I had doubts. Serious doubts. It is easy to cross a bridge when everything looks great but it is an all together different thing when we come across a rickety old bridge.

Application:
When it comes to exercising my faith in God, I often feel more like I am crossing a rickety bridge. I have so many doubts. There are so many things that I just can't see. There are many past experiences that did not happen according to what I believed. All these things can come together and present a pretty compelling case against standing firm. Consequently, my past is checkered with instances of me shrinking back.

God is calling me to a higher place. One definition of faith I have seen says that faith is a belief that is not based on proof. It is based on the word of another or trust in another's character. That is what God is calling on me to do. But faith does not just happen, it requires two things from me; learn His Word and know His character.

Prayer:
I need to learn Your word. As I awake each morning and open my Bible, I pray that You hide Your word in my heart. Open my eyes to see and my ears to hear. Enable me to recall it in times of need. I also ask that You reveal Your character to me. Help me grow in my knowledge of You each day. As these things take place I know that my faith in You will increase. I desire to have a past checkered with experiences that delight Your soul. I do not want to be a person who draws back.

No comments: