Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Learning to Stand Firm

Scripture:
"These things speak and exhort and reprove with all authority. Let no one disregard you." Titus 2:15

Observation:
There are aspects of the Bible that are not all that popular. There are teachings that cut to the marrow of certain lifestyle choices. When people hear these teachings, they immediately war against what is said.

Application:
Following God in obedience leads to many conversations that are rewarding beyond anything I could have imagined. I have walked people through some really tough times. I have spoken the truth in conversations that were really not all that conducive to the truth being spoken. In all these things I have seen God do some miraculous things and watched as He transformed lives before me. I am humbled by the opportunities He has given. There is no greater joy than to bump into someone I have worked with and see that a smile now rests where despair was once displayed.

On the other hand, I have had an equal amount of experience with conversations that did not go all that well. Worse still, there are many conversations that needed to be had, but I lacked the courage. I still replay those times in my head. It is amazing how fresh the wounds are. I still feel as much regret now as I did way back when. Over the years I have thought back through these failures. As I relive them tonight and read this text, there are a few things that stick out as things that can help me learn to stand firm.

I have to live my life as an example. Paul points this out in verse 7 and again in verse 12. There have been many times that the depravity of my choices prevented me from speaking out. There was simply too many holes in my lifestyles to speak out against anything. It would only take a couple of comments and the embarrassment of my own moral failures would have sent me in full retreat. If my life reflects good deeds, pure doctrine and sound speech it will go a long way towards strengthening my ability to stand firm in speaking the truth.

I also have to be affirmed in the end. Christ will return or death will overtake me. These are two simple and inescapable facts. Regardless of how I chose to respond to this fact, it remains the same. I need to learn to embrace it. Death for a Christian is an amazing transition to a life I can't imagine. Christ's returning is a joyous celebration leading to the same transition. Paul calls it our blessed hope. Why is it that we so easily forget to remember the value of the world that lies beyond this one? Being sold out to what is going to happen removes many obstacles that would otherwise prevent me from speaking the truth.

Finally, I just have to speak. Regardless of how I feel, my voice must not be silenced. It is never very difficult to find an excuse to keep my mouth shut. I doubt myself a lot. I wonder what I will say. How will it sound? What will the response be? What type of questions will be asked and can I handle them? What if I am wrong? Most of all, I wonder who am I that I should instruct another person. These questions are all legitimate questions that address valid concerns. Be that as it may I have to move past them. Part of God's expectations on my life is that I exhort others and allow them to exhort me. We are all in this together. Confronting weak spots is a critical aspect of the Christian life. I might as well get used to it.

Prayer:
You know my tendencies. You know my fears. You know my weaknesses. It is funny to me as I come to revelations about myself and then I realize that You have known about them all along. Your grace amazes me. I get so impatient with others as I wait on them to discover their weaknesses and finally listen to what I have been saying, but You just patiently stand along side me waiting for me to respond. I pray that you continue to bring my life in alignment with what you want me to be. Teaching and exhorting others is definitely part of that plan. I struggle with this. There are so many fears. I pray that You bring about revelation knowledge that will help me to stand firm in Your word.

No comments: