Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A Sheepish Realization

Scripture:
"In this you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials." 1 Peter 1:6

Observation:
In verse 3-5 Peter lays three basic blessings that were given to us through Jesus; a living hope, an imperishable inheritance, and protection by God's power. I love the way Peter uses the words "various trials". I am glad that he did not use specifics. If he had listed out his specific trials, I never would have been able to relate to this passage. My trials are not even in the same ballpark as were his.

Peter was living in Rome during the reign of Nero. This letter was penned somewhere along the time that Nero burned Rome and passed the blame to Christians. Peter's life up to this point had been various trials that were increasing in intensity. When I think through all the disappointments he had already faced and the ones that were yet to come, it is amazing that he held on to his faith. Even when his leader was arrested and crucified, even when he suffered the humiliation of falling away, even when people under his leadership were murdered, and even when death faced him and his own family; Peter stood on his beliefs. He talks about these trials as if they were light and often refers to them as being temporary.

Application:
I feel a little sheepish this morning. I have been complaining a lot lately as I have felt like I have been pressed by trials. I have become discouraged and gotten more than a little frustrated. As I meditate on Peter's words and the circumstances he faced as he wrote them, I hold my suffering cheap as the realization sets in that I don't even know what it is to face trials. My trials are really only inconveniences. My sufferings only bring trivial pain, like a splinter. I know not the weight of true trials and sufferings. This revelation does not come to me as guilt this morning, but as great encouragement. If the early church could find hope, joy and peace while facing the things that were confronting them on a daily basis, how much more effective should I be at facing the trivial things that come my way? 1 Peter 1:13 contains some things that can help me in this journey of strengthening my faith.

First, Peter says that we should prepare our minds for action. In the early manuscripts the phrase used to describe this was the same phrase used when telling someone to gather up their robes. If a person of that era needed to move quickly, they gathered up the loose ends of their robes so that they would not trip. I must apply this to my thoughts. My thinking determines my actions. If I am unsure in my thoughts, I will be unsure in my action. If I am scattered in my thoughts, I will be scattered in my actions. If I am lustful in my thoughts, I will be lustful in my actions. Thought and action are inseparable. I need to gather up the loose ends of my thinking and prepare to act on what God has given to me. It is so easy to get lazy with my thinking. Each day I need to spend time in the Word and in prayer; seeking God's guidance in redirecting my thoughts.

Second, Peter says that we should keep sober in spirit. I like the use of the word "keep" here. It indicates to me that this is something that requires constant attention. I need to intentionally and repetitively work to keep my expectations and emotions under control and in alignment. This is a struggle. Life often fails to meet my expectations and the resulting emotions tempt me to be carried away by frustration and disappointment. Regardless of what comes my way, whether good or bad, I should never lose my focus on the realities of my calling. Life for Christians is not promised to be comfortable and easy. We are repeatedly warned that we will be tempted, pressed, shaken and persecuted. We are told that we will live this life like foreigners looking for their home. I need to learn to be realistic about the fact that easy circumstances are not promised. Peace through difficulties is.

Finally, Peter says to fix my hope completely on the grace to be brought to me by Jesus. This is a great struggle for believers, especially today in the United States. We don't really need God. The world has everything to offer. There are many things that compete with God to capture the focus of our hope. Healthy kids, good jobs, plush savings accounts, networks of friends, choice of church, the right elected officials and many other things all promise hope. Everywhere I look I see an ad that offers me something to hope for. It is inescapable. These offers of hope distract me and start me down a path that leads away from God. God's word to me through Peter is that I should solely base my hope on the work that He has already done in me and the future work that will take place in the world that is to come after this one.

Prayer:
Prepared for action, sober in spirit, and focused on You. My simple prayer this morning is that You bring these three things to bear fruit in my life. Write them on my heart and focus all my energy towards them.

No comments: