Monday, July 7, 2008

Finding Rest

Scripture:
"Therefore let us be diligent to enter that rest, so that no one will fall…" Hebrews 4:11

Observation:
Rest can be defined as: relief or freedom, especially from anything that wearies, troubles, or disturbs. Prolonged exposure to wearies, troubles, or disturbances can drive a person to all types of moral and mental failures. God's encouragement to the Hebrew church was to find and enter his rest. This morning as I read the scripture, I see three things that can help me find rest.

Application:
First, deal with bitterness. In Psalm 73:21, Asaph says that while his heart was embittered, he was like a senseless and ignorant beast before God. Life presented Asaph with some hard things to understand. He strived to be and do good, only to see evil people prosper. He resented their blessing and it tempted him to doubt God's goodness. Asaph did a couple of things that I really admire. He kept his mouth shut. In Psalm 73:15 he says that he did not speak of the things that he felt. I look back over my life and most of the words spoken that I regret were words of bitterness. I look back and wish I had just stayed quiet. Asaph stayed quiet until he had sought after God and found the truth. He let God deal with his "pierced soul". The other thing Asaph did was stopped looking for his reward outside of his relationship with God. It is easy to say all that I need is God. It is hard to accept this when it comes at a cost. There are days that I look around and I feel like I am being shorted. This is especially true when I endure a season of difficulty or when something inside of me cries out for relief that can't be found. It is in these moments that I should learn to seek after God the hardest.

Second, prepare a harvest. When things get rough and my soul is at unrest it is easy to give in to depression and stop working. But in Hosea 10:12, God instructs Israel to sow with a view towards righteousness, reap with kindness, and break up fallow ground. He tells them to continue making preparations and to seek after Him until he comes and rains down upon them. As I look at this text, I am reminded of three things that I can do when my spirit dries up. First, I can check my intentions in sowing. Sometimes I do not sow with a view towards righteousness. I sow with a view towards the fulfillment of a fleshly desire. Second, I can check my attitude in reaping. He says to reap in kindness. Often, my attitude in reaping is selfish. Finally, He says to till your fallow ground. Fallow ground is a field that has been prepared for planting but set aside to rest. I think the challenge here from God is to find some area of my life that is lying dormant and put it back to work.

Third, hold fast to my faith. Prolonged adversity that refuses to respond to prayer has a way of dealing a lethal blow to my faith. Hebrews 4:14 reminds us to not let that happen. This entire chapter of the Bible serves as a great reminder of what happens when God's people give up on Him and choose to not believe. This is not the same thing that Asaph dealt with in Psalm 73. Asaph was conflicted. He had questions. He was bitter. But Asaph held fast to what he knew to be true of God. The contrast to this would be the people of Israel as they came out of Egypt. They rejected God because of the hardships in their life and said they would be better off without Him. That is what I have to avoid. Regardless of what takes place in my life, I have to hold fast to my faith. The best way to do that is to stay grounded in His Word. It is sharper than any two-edged sword and can divide my thoughts between good and bad.

Prayer:
I do not want to be like those who have fallen away from their faith. I want to be counted among those who stand firm to Your promises regardless of how crazy it seems. Protect me from bitterness. I sit every day and watch people who have no regard for helping others or pursuing righteousness prosper. They seem to live a life full of enjoyment and peace. Everything they want they have. As I compare my life to theirs, it is easy to feel like I am being left behind and that I am missing out. I ask for You to forgive my envy and bitterness. My relationship with You should be my security.

I have a tendency to draw back when I get confused and stop seeking after you as I should. During seasons of hard times, I want to do the opposite of this. Create inside of me an energy and excitement as I anticipate what You are going to do in my life as a result of what I face. I do not want to be among the weak who quit and shrink back. I want to be diligent in my work and stay prepared to reap the harvest you have for me.

It is often tempting to forsake my faith. There are times that I just get tired. There are times when I wonder if all this is really real. There are more questions than answers. The facts seem to create a case against You. It would not be very hard to make a logical case against You and then just walk away. But I can't. As much as I feel like doing it, there is something inside of me that just can't let go of You. I am very thankful for this, even if it frustrates me. I am also grateful that I can be honest with You and that You can sympathize with my weaknesses. I pray that you strengthen my faith. My weaknesses are ever before me and they have a way of reminding me of all that is wrong with me. But I pray that You help me hold fast to the confession of my faith that says I stand before You without a blemish.

This morning and each day that follows, I pray that finding Your rest be the only goal in my life.

No comments: