Monday, July 14, 2008

The Hall of Faith

Scripture:
"By faith Abraham, when he was called, obeyed by going to a place which he was to receive for an inheritance, and he went out, not knowing where he was going." Hebrews 11:8

Observation:
Chapter 11 of Hebrews is often referred to as the hall of faith. A survey of the book lists the names of Biblical greats. Able, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Sarah, Moses, Rahab, Gideon, David and others are all listed. Each of these are credited with one thing; they obeyed in faith. There lives were not perfect. Many were living a life outside of God's best or lives that were just stuck in the ordinary trenches of daily existence when their call came. God spoke to them and offered them something that was not based on their past. They did not do anything to qualify. He simply gave them an opportunity and they walked with Him.

Application:
I can get really screwed up in my thinking sometimes. I have generally always worked for the things that I want. There is an independent streak that runs deep inside of me. I have also always targeted dreams and pursued them. I struggle with wanting more. My ambition is not a bad thing, but it does get me in trouble. There are a few things from this passage that stick out to me tonight.

First, everything that I have from God comes by faith not by works. I really get hung up on this one in many ways. I want to work and earn a spot of blessing with God. I know better, but it is hard to get away from doing good things with the anticipation that God will have to reciprocate. That is the wrong attitude. To do things by faith means that I do the right thing simply out of respect for and reverence to God. He deserves my best.

Second, Abraham went when he was called. Waiting on a call is not one of my strong suits. I jump the gun. I get impatient. I get frustrated. I miss God. God moves on His on timeline. The only thing that I am asked to do is seek Him and wait. Waiting. I am sure that there is a word in the English language I despise more that "wait"; I just can’t think of it. But walking by faith means that I trust God to give me direction. Even if I have to wait for it.

Third, Abraham obeyed by going. I have a tendency to obey by saying ok and then getting stuck. I don't get the going part. God moves, but I am left standing frozen just like a little kid standing at the edge of a cliff paralyzed and unable to jump in the water below. I continue making choices that God asked me to not make or I hunker down instead of taking a step when He asks me to do something. Obeying in word or thought profits me nothing. I have to obey by doing the thing being asked of me. The true measure of my faith is determined by my actions; not my intentions.

Fourth, Abraham did not wait on all the details. He blindly walked forward trusting only in the voice of God. He put his faith in what God asked and took a chance. He did not see where he was going. He only knew that the call from God was clear and he went.

Prayer:
I do not know how to pray about this. I feel like I have been struggling with the items above for most of my life and I just don't know what to do. I feel like I have to earn something from You or that You owe me something based on my works. I get confused regarding your calling as the pain of life makes waiting on you uncomfortable. When you finally do speak, I struggle acting on many of the things You have asked of me. I wrestle with balancing the desire to make prudent decisions and the recklessness of the faith to which You have called me.

Tonight with my own words and thoughts, I rest my prayers on Romans 8:26-27 which says, "In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words;
and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God."

No comments: