Monday, June 30, 2008

Learning to be Ready

Scripture:
"Preach the Word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction." Titus 4:2

Observation:
The world always has been and always will be opposed to the Word of God. People hate being told that their lifestyle is not right. The resistance to absolute truth and a central standard of right and wrong is as strong today as it was in Paul's time. The world today is viciously against the Church taking stands against controversial issues. As a result, many churches have compromised the teaching of the Word in order to adapt it to the cultural context in which it resides. People of the world are searching for a doctrine to fit their lifestyle and many churches and Christians have met them with open arms.

Paul's challenge to Timothy is as applicable to my life as it was to Timothy's. I have to learn to be ready to speak the truth. That is not always easy. The temptation is to surround myself with likeminded people and therefore never be confronted with either the truth or an opportunity to present the truth to its opposition. So what must I do to be ready? As I read the scripture above, a few things come to mind.

Application:
First, I must know the Word. Can't preach it if I don't know it. And this is not just a head knowledge. I must know the Word and it must be lived out in my life. The choices I make with my life should be my greatest message. I must spend time in God's word everyday applying it to the everyday choices I make.

Second, I must maintain my lifestyle. Paul says to be ready in season and out of season. That means that I know the Word, but it also means that my lifestyle has to be ready. In verse 5, Paul lays out a few commands that I think help me to stay ready. He says to be sober in all things, endure hardships, do the work of an evangelist, and to fulfill my ministry.

Third, I need to commit myself to being patient in my teaching. This is the most critical aspect of the process. I need to be patient with myself and I need to be patient with others. Changing behavior does not happen instantly. No matter how clearly truth is articulated, lasting change comes with time.

Finally, I have to speak. Being ready does no good if I chose to not act on it when the opportunity arises. This does not mean that I run through life preaching to everyone, but it does mean that I become intentional and make the most of every opportunity God places in my path.

Prayer:
I have missed many opportunities to speak Your word. Fear has overtaken me. Lack of knowledge has hindered me. My lifestyle has disqualified me. I have seen all these things prevent Your Truth from being delivered through me. I am tired of living that way. I want to be ready. There is a certain peace that overtakes me when I am prepared for what is to come. Move in my heart this morning and guide me in Your wisdom. Teach me Your Word. Hide it in my heart and store it in my mind. Bring it to my memory when it is needed and apply it to my choices so that my lifestyle reflects. Give me the patience I need to have... both with myself and others.

No comments: