Monday, June 23, 2008

Loss of Words

Scripture:
"First of all, then, I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all men, for kings and all who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity. This is good in the sight of God our Savior." 1 Timothy 2:1-3

Observation:
My dad always prays for the President. You can almost count on hearing it anytime he prays in public, "LORD be with our president." I have never really thought about it much, but this morning I realize there is something to his prayer. It is actually Biblical. Praying for the President is something that is often not included in my prayers. I wonder what else my prayers are missing?

Application:
There was a season in my life when I literally prayed for everything. There was not a thing in my life that I did not pray about. It came easy and naturally for me. It has almost always been that way. Even in the midst of my rebellions, I maintained an ability to pray to God. But something has gone terribly wrong.

I am not sure when it happened, but I feel like I have lost my ability to pray. What once felt like a perfect fitting suit now feels like the coat is too tight and the pants are too short. I try to do it and the words just are not there. I can write prayers, and that is ok. God sees them and hears them all the same. But the ability to speak them is gone. Especially in public. I feel like when I pray in front of someone they too realize that the suit does not fit.

As I think about it, it is not just my prayers that have taken a hit. Speaking anything has become a struggle for me. My confidence in my ability to communicate to another person has been stolen from me. I am not sure why that is, what needs to be done about it, or how serious a problem it is.

Prayer:
I need Your help. I do not know what I have done to create this situation or how to get out of it, but I beg for You to move. Loosen my tongue so that I may openly communicate to others about the truth of Your word. If this loss of words is a trap from my enemy please strike him down on my behalf. If the loss of words is of Your hand, please open my eyes to the lesson that you have for me. I desire deep in my heart to lead people, but I can’t do it if I cannot speak. I desire to have a vibrant prayer life, but I can't do it if I am constantly doubting what I say. I ask for your strength and guidance as I tackle this obstacle.

No comments: