Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Sharpening Iron

Scripture:
"Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another." Proverbs 27:17-18

Observation:
This morning I am really sitting with iron sharpening iron. What is God trying to say that He wants me to apply to my life today?

Application:
God has called me to live life in community with others and that is a good thing; but it also can be a bad thing. While iron can sharpen iron, but it can also dull it. If I live my life with others according to how God asks me too, we will sharpen each other. If I live my life with others in opposition to how God asks me too we will dull each other. So what is it that God is asking me to do? It is easy to take this verse and think that it means we are to confront each others weaknesses and encourage each other to grow stronger. Those are good things and there is definitely a time and place for them, but I think that God has something different for me this morning. In Romans 15:1-13 I see four things that God is asking me to consider as ways to sharpen others in my life.

First, I need to learn how to bear the weaknesses of others. In Romans 15:1 Paul says that it is not good to just do what is pleasing to me, I need to live my life in consideration of the weakness of others. That means that I will be inconvenienced. That means that I learn to live life under the weight of the weaknesses of others. That is hard for me because I typically want to get rid of other people's weaknesses because they are aggravating to me. It is easy to feel like my life should not be negatively impacted by the dysfunction of another, but God calls me to live a different way.

Second, I need to recognize that this is a life long journey and we are all seeking the same end. In Romans 15:5 Paul says that we need to pray for God to provide patience, endurance, and steadfastness as we seek to become of one mind according to Christ. This is not a one time choice. It is a daily walk that will require much from me. And we are not just seeking our own preferred life styles. Instead we are all seeking to live life like Christ lived His. As I do this, I need to be willing to share my life with others so that they may be able to find strength on days when they feel dull and so that I may draw from them at times I find myself weak.

Third, I need to learn to accept others. In Romans 15:7, Paul says that we should accept people just as Christ accepted us. There is nothing more comforting than feeling accepted just as you are. No pretending. No hiding. No worrying about what someone may find out about you. Just relaxing in the fact that you are accepted. That is how Christ accepted me and how I should accept others. There is a time and a place to challenge behavior, but that is almost impossible to accept from someone until I feel they accept me or they know that I accept them.

Fourth, I need to learn to be filled by God. In Romans 15:13 Paul prays that God will fill me with joy, peace and that I may abound in Hope. There is nothing that can sharpen my spirit better than being in the presence of a person consumed by joy, peace, and hope. It is uplifting. I need to seek to be this to others. The world is desperate for these three things. I am desperate for these things. Regardless of the circumstances I face, I need to maintain my joy, peace and hope. They are constantly available.


Prayer:
This morning You have given me four really tough things that I need to do to become a source of life and strength to the world around me. These are things that I can not do on my own. I need Your help in bearing the weaknesses of others. I pray that You make me strong. Give me the strength that I need to endure the weight of others. There are times that I lose my strength and energy as it feels like things continue to pile up on top of me. I am depending on You to hold me up.

I also pray that you firmly set my sights on becoming like Christ and remind me that this is a challenge of endurance that will last my entire life. Thinking of constant struggle is disheartening and is not something that I can do on my own. I ask you this morning for the perseverance, endurance and steadfastness required to complete this journey.

Give me the ability to walk in the acceptance You have given to me and the desire to offer that same acceptance to others around me. I pray that You surround me with people seeking to do the same. Set my sights on Christ and lead me to walk in the path that you have for me. I desire this more than anything.

Above all, fill me this morning with joy, peace and hope. Not so that I can feel good, but so that I may be a vessel of honor to those around me. Life on earth can really stink. There is just so much that causes concern, fear, and doubt. As long as I am on earth I will live life as a foreigner who is not at home. But that does not mean I should live a life held captive by fear and concern. I do not believe that is Your will. Help me rise above the circumstances of this world and become a beacon of your joy, peace, and hope.

No comments: